Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we finally got around to fixing up the old 91.5 I bought a year ago to prepare it for parts runner duty. It was a little rough, but a little body work and paint can work wonders.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any before pics. I'll keep digging. Basically, truck was brown, drivers side bedside caved behind door, both sides of back end had been backed into a pole or fence, taillights broken, and some other smaller dents and dings. The paint was fading and the roof and hood were rust.

Here is some pics of it masked after some tlc with a stud gun, body hammers, a little filler and primer.

This is when we pushed it outside for a little wet sanding, then back inside to prep for paint.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
still going with pearl white? did you guys pull the bed off? the body lines are not matching.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Back inside for a little color. I decided to go white for better sticker viewing and, its pretty easy to maintain. Once we unmasked it, we installed new tail lights, painted the headlamp bezels black, installed new headlamp housings and a set of 8000 temp HID head lights. Also in these pictures you can see the 2008 wheels that were a complete nightmare to get fitted. I'll never do that again without adapters.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Back inside for a little color. I decided to go white for better sticker viewing and, its pretty easy to maintain. Once we unmasked it, we installed new tail lights, painted the headlamp bezels black, installed new headlamp housings and a set of 8000 temp HID head lights. Also in these pictures you can see the 2008 wheels that were a complete nightmare to get fitted. I'll never do that again without adapters.

wow now that has to be a record:shock:. 4 minutes to wet sand and paint the truck ,install stacks,toolbox,grill and mirrors.:hehe::hehe:

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And here it is. I still need to have a few additional Diesel Nut Motorsports stickers made for the rest of the decal scheme, but you get the idea. We robbed the chrome bumper off one of my other first gens, and we are waiting on a clean front bumper or I'll just build one.

The stack kit really sets the truck off, and I had to modify the mandrel bent 3" downpipe I bought to make the 4" pipes mate up. I cut the downipe and added about 3" of height to it so the connection was lower, allowing us to go 4" right at the bottom of the downpipe. The sound is incredible compared to 3" pipes to the stacks.

I'll get some pics of it during the day once she gets a bath. We have been using the truck all week to run parts and errands. A few pump tweaks, stock turbo and I believe ( I still have to check) the stock housing is a 18.5. Only issue to date is the PCM took a dump and you have to throw a switch for 4th gear, but that should be fixed by the end of next week.

We pulled an old set of Banks Dynafact gauges off the shelf we have had laying around and installed those. Amazing how good these trucks run. 65mph down the freeway, 550* on the pyro. Not bad.

I took the VB out of it and tore it down, installed a Trans Go shift kit with a few of my own special tweaks. It definently shifts now!! All in all, not a bad little budget first gen build.

Next to come is a complete trans overhaul, with good parts of course, some injectors, a FASS, and some injectors.

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow now that has to be a record:shock:. 4 minutes to wet sand and paint the truck ,install stacks,toolbox,grill and mirrors.:hehe::hehe:

We work fast!:hehe:

Besides, if you put the stickers on with the paint wet they stick better, right?:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some better pictures after give it a bath.

Got a clean front bumper coming from a customer that built a big burly one for his truck and hopefully a bed liner in the near future and it will be ready for anything.

·
Registered
777 Posts
That looks good Jason:headbang::thumbsup:...but any news on my estimate:confused013:

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, should be giving you a call today.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
At first I thought the stacks were to high, but actually they dont look all that bad. Nice lookin truck there Jason

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Very sharp!

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, well, they were what was on the shelf. I may put 6" on it later but I doubt it. I did just finish putting an HX35 on it. Makes some whistle now!

Glad you all like it, hopefully I can start on my other 2 1st gen projects here soon. All that and I still need to start planning out the 06 build for desert chase duty. . . . . . .

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Good looking truck, Ive been trying to get a clean 91 2wd like that off a customer to do pretty much the same with. What issues were there fitting the 08 wheels?

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 08 wheels were a nightmare. I will never do another set on a 2wd without wheel adapters. Problem is most wheel adapters are 1 1/2", and we only needed 3/4" to clear. So we wound up having the rotors and drums redrilled for new 9/16 studs (stock is 1/2" with a HUGE knurl) and using spacer shims and stock lug nuts. It came out looking great, but it was a real PITA to do. Next time I'll just buy a set of wheels. . . . .

·
Registered
777 Posts
I just saw it yesterday and its one clean truck!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
yep jason you know your chit hats off it did look good when i saw her the other day now we need to find you a bumber if not i got a bud who owns a chrome shop

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nice Lookin Truck Jason.

I'm assuming this is the one you were asking about doing a 5sp conversion and front end lift on? If so, you have the OD 518 in there, the trans tunnel is already the 'large' style. The non OD 3spds had a small little thing that wouldn't clear the getrag.

Either way you'll be ok with the setup you have there, just have to cut a shifter access hole. You could source a bolt in drivetrain tunnel from the '72-'79 Dodges for easy getrag maintenance/inspection... That could definitely come in handy.

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts