Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a 3 inch level on the front of my truck for a while and I finally got around to getting better shocks for it. I’m just curious if I go ahead and put the new shocks on before I get longer control arms will the top mounting stud on the shock bend since the axle is being pulled back towards the cab? Truck is a 4wd

·
Registered
980 Posts
you don't need to get longer control arms, but to answer your question, no, it will not bend the shock, they pivot via the eye-bolt on the bottom.

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you don't need to get longer control arms, but to answer your question, no, it will not bend the shock, they pivot via the eye-bolt on the bottom.
would longer control arms help the ride? If I don’t need them I won’t get them but it rides horrible right now.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
would longer control arms help the ride? If I don’t need them I won’t get them but it rides horrible right now.
There are sooo many things that can contribute to ride quality on the front end of these trucks. So in a nutshell, no.
Control arms will center your axle in the wheel well so you don't rub, but you aren't going to notice a ride quality difference if that's all you're going for.

·
Registered
980 Posts
agreed, no noticeable change in ride when I replaced my control arms. My bushing were pretty trashed and the stock ones are not much cheaper than THuren/Carli etc. No need to replace them though if you aren't trashing your truck off-road and they aren't worn out.

·
Registered
2006 Megacab
1 Posts
CJC offroad might be able to help you out

·
Registered
83 Posts
good coil springs and shocks, sway bar and long arms for best ride quality changes.

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good coil springs and shocks, sway bar and long arms for best ride quality changes.
Right now I have carli front shocks and bilstein rear shocks I am getting ready to install and I just ordered some extended sway bar links.I’m thinking about some thirteen springs up front too. I don’t care if it rides great or not but anything has to be better than what it is.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
With a 2.5" level I found a stock length end link rode drastically better than an extended one. Ideally the sway bar should be closer to level and even the shorter extended ones push it way up.

·
Registered
2004.5 1 ton srw 4wd
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With a 2.5" level I found a stock length end link rode drastically better than an extended one. Ideally the sway bar should be closer to level and even the shorter extended ones push it way up.
I just put my front shocks on and realized my sway bar is actually pretty close to level. Guess I wasted $80 on the links

1 - 11 of 11 Posts