Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 with the 4 speed auto and really like the vehicle on the whole. One thing that I have hated from the beginning of ownership however are the factory shift points and TC lock-out controls at low throttle position without tow/haul active.

Is there a tuner that allows shift point modification and lock-out adjustments?

I'm looking for a 4th gear lock-out around 40mph when under 15% throttle. I'd also like to drop the engagement RPM of a couple shift points again, only under 15% or 20% throttle.

I think Dodge did a great job with the action in tow/haul mode, but what a disappointment for around town driving.

Anyone agree with me and found a tractable solution?

Thank you.

- Stump

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
I am I reading it that you want have the TC lockup sooner?
I have not heard of any type of programming to alter shift points. At least my tranny shop knows nothig about it. There is the option of putting a TC lockup switch, which I have not done yet. Was actaully plannig on doing it today as its storming here and I'm bored. There is a writeup on how to do it. Basically taking one wire on the tranny and putting a switch between it and ground, will lock the converter manually. I think I read that on our truck it will only work once in second. If I get on my :butt: and go out to the shop I will know in about 10 min. I have the switch in place and grounded. Just have to tie in the wire on the #7 pin.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Rumor was/is that Smarty may be modifying shifts, in the future but...who knows. Aside from that, there is nothing. I just drive the truck in tow/haul all the time...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know, that is one of the first questions I asked MADS before I decided to order a Smarty. They said, not yet but we are looking into it for the future.

MADS Electronics is going to do great things for these trucks. I just keep my fingers crossed that it happens sooner than later.

As far as the switch installation goes. I really have no interest doing anything outside of the computer. The computer is the 'brain' of your vehicle. Anytime you bypass it, you introduce a variable that is not under consideration while it calculates the system outputs. I would consider a valve body though as it remains integrated.

I just didn't know if there was a solution to this problem.

Also, I did not proof read the title of my first post and spelled point - "poing"... how do you delete a thread?

- Stump

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Also, I did not proof read the title of my first post and spelled point - "poing"... how do you delete a thread?

- Stump
Mods have to do it, though I'd recommend leaving it for future reference :w:

As for TC lock-up...there's nothing wrong wiht installing one BUT you risk breaking the stock input shaft if you leave the TC locked for shifts....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly my point Awenthol. If you bypass the computer, it doesn't have all the information required to make the correct decisions. You essentially enter a new variable into the equation. Last time I checked, if you have 2 variables, you need 2 equations to solve. The second equation is you remembering or being quick enough to flip the switch before a shift.

The only human variable I want in my truck is remembering to change my oil.

- Stump

Foo-ey on Dodge and hurry up MADS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts