Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

shift enhanser question

996 11
i have a shift enhanser on my truck and the trans im getting built will have a constant pressure valve body. i know the shift enhanser is made to make the line pressures rise faster so im just wondering if anyone knows how it will work with that valve body.
thanks
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
469 Posts
I have a DTT on the way, but when I called around and talked to a lot of the bigger names on this forums they all said to leave it on, and I had a couple even tell me that if I didn't already have it that they would have told me to buy it with their trans. I don't know what trans. or valve body you are getting but a conversation with your builder should answer this for you.

Reactions: blackdieselram

· Registered
917 Posts
I would think you wouldnt need it if you are going with a constant pressure VB. Who is building the VB for you? I know Goerend was working on one back in November.

· Registered
622 Posts
i have a shift enhanser on my truck and the trans im getting built will have a constant pressure valve body. i know the shift enhanser is made to make the line pressures rise faster so im just wondering if anyone knows how it will work with that valve body.
thanks
What shift enhancer is it and what does it do, really?

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my transmission is getting built by goerend and he said that valve body was very new. the shift enhanser is by dtt and from what i understand it changes the tps reading to eliminate the 1-2 shuttle shifting and also makes the line pressure increase faster. im just not sure what kind of difference it will make since the line pressure will be constant. im assuming it may still make a difference on the shifting since it alters the tps reading? i was just trying to find out if anyone had tried it before or knew more about it.

· Registered
369 Posts
It is my understanding the shift enhancer increases line pressure 15psi for each setting for a total of 45psi. It can be disconnected by unplugging the connector and putting the supplied jumper connection in.

· Registered
469 Posts
Goerend is the one who told me that it would be a required purchase if I didn't already have it, and that was last week. I just ordered my DTT and still waiting for it to be delivered. If need be you can send the shift enhancer back to DTT to have it reprogramed for your new trans. A short call to DTT will tell you if you need to or not. They have your record on file where you ordered it and how it was programed to start. You may also want to check to see who is actually building your valve body, I know there are some changes happening!:stirpot:

· Registered
622 Posts
What does this gadget do on a stock 48RE? I mean if it ups pressure what is the result in English? Anybody actually use one?

· Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ran one on my stock 48re, it made the shifts a lot better and took away the gear hunting it had at light-medium throttle but i think it does that from altering the tps reading to make it think that your accelerating more than you actually are and that is also how it makes the line pressures rise faster. it doesnt actually increase the max line pressure you can have. im no expert but thats what i understood when i was trying to decide if i should get one. the increase in line pressures should help prevent slipping low in the rpms but i dont think it does by much.

· Registered
135 Posts
thanks
I just had my Goerend installed today with the constant pressure VB on my '06. Dave told me with that valve body you don't need a shift enhancer because the pressure is already up and constant regardless of TPS. I like the way it shifts firm. My TC is the second lowest stall that Dave offers. You can definately tell the transmission pulls just putting it into drive .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.