Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just to update. I can only replicate the chirp on the 3 - 4 shift and ONLY when the torque converter is unlocked while going into that shift. This requires a medium to hard acceleration and staying in the throttle consistent into that shift. Mild acceleration or even a slight lift going into the shift and the TC locks and I never hear the noise when it's locked. The 3 - 4 shift seems to be the hardest shift of all and I believe or guess that under the scenario of going into this shift upon firm acceleration and being unlocked the TC locks simultaneous with the shift and jacks the tranny or something. For whatever reason it seems like it may not be as bad as it was, could be just because I've been doing more highway lately. But I'm planning to document and discuss with the dealer on first oil change. Frankly the tranny has been performing really well otherwise. Occasionally it gets all confused for a second and clunks around but so did my 2011 F250. I don't expect big trannies like these to perform as slick as a cadillac but the chirp crap has to go.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm actually sitting at the dealer now while they are doing the latest computer update. I read on another thread someone seemed to have success with the latest flash fixing shift issues. When I described it to the service writer a couple of them had no clue, then a veteran tech walked over and right away said the latest flash should fix that.

I'll report back this weekend after driving it a bit with the updated flash and see if it stops the 3-4 chirp and other occasional sloppy tranny behavior.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was in the dealer a few weeks back and had that flash done for my shift chirp as well... Told me it would fix it. Whelp, it didn't. I took the transmission guy out and he heard it and told me it's just something twisting due to the extreme torque. Bullpoo. So I said I was putting a lift on let's see if anything changes after that... It didn't. Long story short, it still does it. I'm taking it back in next week for the 6th or 7th visit in 3100 miles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not 100% positive but the latest flash, the one that I'm speaking of, supposedly came out just like a week or so ago. Keeping fingers crossed bc I can't hear that type of BS the tech gave you. Makes me very angered. I'll report back asap and try to provide the code for the flash. I believe it was provided in another thread. I believe it ends in an 'I'.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That'd be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2015 2500 mega about a month ago. I also have the chirp. Have heard it ever since I drive it off the lot. Have about 1500 miles on it and it still chirps.

Subscribed for answers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unfortunately I was in the middle of a call when I took the truck back yesterday and did not have a chance to speak in detail with the tech on the flash code. Doesn't really matter because it still makes the damn chirp on the 3-4 shift on moderate to strong acceleration.

However the flash did clean up some of the sloppiness in the torque converter behavior and generally less confusion from the tranny when getting on and off throttle. Also seems to have eliminated the clunking when jumping off throttle in the lower gears. Overall it seem to have improved the tranny behavior from being somewhat annoying to somewhere close to good. If we could just figure out the chirp I would be pretty damn happy with this thing. Oh and it seems to idle better. Sounds nice and tight at idle now, had some funky clicks or pops before. Worth the flash overall IMO but did not completely take care of the chirp.

I'll check back in a few days if anything changes. And I will be following up with the tech at the next service.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Personally I think it's the clutch plates chattering. I had a Harley with a fractured clutch basket that would do the same thing (especially while doing a burnout). Anyway, replaced basket and clutch pack and all was silent. I'm not saying there's something broken in our transmissions, but perhaps there's a little play when engaging that causes the chatter/chirp. I wonder if a different trans fluid, like Amsoil would behave differently?

Not trying to turn this into an oil thread, but I know different friction modifiers will make the transmission shift smoother/harsher.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
In the past this has always been the overdrive clutches. It could possibly be that Chrysler changed the paper they use on the frictions.

This was an issue way back in the early testing days before the proper material was engineered and made exclusively for Suncoast.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think ya'll are correct. I don't know crap about transmissions but sure sounds like it's slightly slipping on something upon that sudden engagement catching 4th gear and makes the chirp. I hope to have time later this week to take it back to service and look deeper into it. Very pleased with this thing otherwise.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm taking mine in tomorrow for its first oil change and service.... it will be its 6th time in the shop and it has 3300 miles on it now. I will see what they say when I tell them its the same old chirp, even after the lift.

I do not know if its the trans or what because, at least in this thread, the only people complaining about it seem to be owners of newer Mega Cabs...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good luck Ox. Hope you find something out. I'm slammed this week so won't get in. I just know this is going to be a show to figure out or get resolved. Interesting that it may just be Mega cabs. Could it possibly be something in the axle? I still think it's the tranny bc mine only does it when tc is unlocked going into the shift to 4th.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just an update. Short version:

Took it back yesterday, verified flash is up to date and they did some quick relearn thing to the tranny. Had two techs (one supposedly was the guru) ride with me. Duplicated the chirp sound on the shift into 4th several times. Both acknowledged hearing it. No codes or other diagnostics able to give them a clue and everyone only has silence or possible guesses. Just having it documented to 'Chrysler' (that's what they still call it) and go about my way. It's not a safety issue and the shift isn't necessarily 'bad', just a little harsh IMO but I guess a lot of people like the firm shifts. So it's all subjective except for the fact that it makes a chirp or bark noise on the 4th gear shift. I don't want them tearing apart the tranny or anything just to look and guess. So just have to drive it and act like I farted when it shifts to 4th each time so my Ford or GM buddies don't have some comment. I'm planning to give the tranny no mercy since it's all stock and under warranty for a long time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Holy freakin crap. Ya'll aren't going to believe this. Literally as I hit send on the above post my tech called me. They ordered a whole new transmission for my truck. They are supposedly fast tracking it and he said he'd call me back within a week to schedule the replacement. I never even asked them to tear into the tranny nor did I get really nasty with them. Just had good discussion about it, stated it shouldn't be making the noise and had them check it out as described above. They must be aware there is some issue going on with this. I'll update as this plays out.

Let me add, I realize everything can have an issue. It's how they take care of the issue that goes a long way in my book. If they get this right I will give major props to Ram and this service center.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just got a 15 mega cab and it has the chirp as well. I have about 400 miles on the truck. I dont want a brand new truck that has to have the tranny replaced:doh:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Update: Have the truck in today for the tranny work. Correction to above post, not an entirely new tranny, service guy was confused. Just new valve body. Otherwise the tranny has been working perfectly so hopefully this eliminates the 4th gear chirp.

·
Registered
240 Posts
can you post up if that fixes the issue BlackDawg?

Update: Have the truck in today for the tranny work. Correction to above post, not an entirely new tranny, service guy was confused. Just new valve body. Otherwise the tranny has been working perfectly so hopefully this eliminates the 4th gear chirp.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Qzing, will do.

However I have to edit once again. Right after I dropped the truck off and posted my above post this morning I tracked down the tech that drove around with me to diagnose the problem a week ago. He said no they are not replacing the valve body, they are in fact replacing the entire tranny. He said after they took the test ride with me he passed what he experienced from the tranny 'up the chain' and from there 'they' had him order a new tranny. He said Chrysler wants the tranny to see what the issues are bc they are aware of them. That is not a word for word quote from him but basically what he said. So it will be a few days.

At this point I am very pleased that Chrysler (Ram, Fiat or whoever the hell 'they' are now) is apparently trying to make this right. Frankly it's not 'that' bad of an issue. Though I supposed it could get worse. And my belief is when you plunk down perfect money the product should also be perfect. At least to start with. I've had worse 'bugs' in trucks before that I got the run around on. So I hope the new tranny they are putting in doesn't do the same thing.

I will definitely post up once I get it back.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I really appreciate it. I have had nothing but issues with shops around me giving me the run around. I have a new 15 mega cab because of a local dealer destroying my 14. I have had multiple issues with the new truck and I am a little less than confident with taking it back to any of the local dealers until I have figured out the issues.

I want a small lift or level and 35 but I am afraid to do that until all the transmission issues are resolved to.

Qzing, will do.

However I have to edit once again. Right after I dropped the truck off and posted my above post this morning I tracked down the tech that drove around with me to diagnose the problem a week ago. He said no they are not replacing the valve body, they are in fact replacing the entire tranny. He said after they took the test ride with me he passed what he experienced from the tranny 'up the chain' and from there 'they' had him order a new tranny. He said Chrysler wants the tranny to see what the issues are bc they are aware of them. That is not a word for word quote from him but basically what he said. So it will be a few days.

At this point I am very pleased that Chrysler (Ram, Fiat or whoever the hell 'they' are now) is apparently trying to make this right. Frankly it's not 'that' bad of an issue. Though I supposed it could get worse. And my belief is when you plunk down perfect money the product should also be perfect. At least to start with. I've had worse 'bugs' in trucks before that I got the run around on. So I hope the new tranny they are putting in doesn't do the same thing.

I will definitely post up once I get it back.

21 - 40 of 316 Posts