Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have tried the Shell V-Power diesel, is it worth the extra cash$$$? Their website claims it's their best diesel ever with some good stuff already added....or is this just shell propaganda trying to squeeze extra $$$cash$$$ out of us?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Where are you seeing this "new" diesel? I don't frequent shells too much but have stopped at many to fill up our government Chevy 3500 that I've been traveling in the last few weeks and haven't seen it.

Pending what they add in, it could possibly be better overall such as with Techron in Chevron's fuel.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
GIMMIC, having worked in a refinery for several years now, mst fuels are sold and distributed to many other vendors and just mixed in large storage tanks, and demand calls. there really isnt ONE brand or another, they are all blends.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you seeing this "new" diesel? I don't frequent shells too much but have stopped at many to fill up our government Chevy 3500 that I've been traveling in the last few weeks and haven't seen it.

Pending what they add in, it could possibly be better overall such as with Techron in Chevron's fuel.
I dont believe I see the word "NEW" any where in my post. Some SELECT shells have ULSD as one option or "Vpower Deisel" as another, @ appox 5-10 cents more for a litre:shock:. I Read some reviews on it and some say that they actually get better mpg or L/100km. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Still sounds like a gimmick, unless it has a higher cetane lvl which could be possible

·
Hello Kitty admirer
668 Posts
I know my father in law delivers fuel to stations and when they pick up there load from the large storage tanks some companies like shell have them then add there own additives at that time. I know for a fact that I have always had better fuel milage in my gassers from shell. I'm going to fill up this thursday at my local shell and see if this still holds true. As far as price they have stayed low on price along with murphys express.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have tried both types in my 08 for 3 tanks each, I found no real difference in power, smoothness, or fuel economy, how ever in my 92 cummins it seemed to make a noticable differance.
Not worth the extra money at all in the newer truck, I have found that the best fuel is from Petro can mainly since it seems I can get about 30-50 Kms more on a tank compared to others.
I also found that the truck runs best with Mohawk fuel, but burns it the fastest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wonder if there is more of a difference without winter fuel
ya I think winter diesel sucks compared to summer fuel...In Alberta the winter diesel I think starts coming out in the end of sept...did a lot of reading on this V powered diesel and I just don't see benefits behind it. I think most of us diesel bombers use a fuel additive to begin with. So what would happen if u added a cetane improver to your fuel that already has a additive added to it from the factory?

·
Registered
901 Posts
GIMMIC, having worked in a refinery for several years now, mst fuels are sold and distributed to many other vendors and just mixed in large storage tanks, and demand calls. there really isnt ONE brand or another, they are all blends.
:agree2:

This was even on the history channels "modern marvels". They all pump through the same pipes. You put in 5000 gal at one end and take out 5000 at the other. Not necessiciarily your petrol. Except chevron. They are the only company with a dedicated system. Meaning only chevron gas goes in those lines.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
:agree2:

This was even on the history channels "modern marvels". They all pump through the same pipes. You put in 5000 gal at one end and take out 5000 at the other. Not necessiciarily your petrol. Except chevron. They are the only company with a dedicated system. Meaning only chevron gas goes in those lines.
Yes and no. The proprietary additives are added to fuel, be it diesel or gasoline, when the tankers are filled and headed for the gas stations. The base fuel is often times the same, but the additives and detergents are most certainly not the same across brands.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
"Except chevron. They are the only company with a dedicated system. Meaning only chevron gas goes in those lines."

We don't burn gas.
They must have a lot of pipes one for gas one fore #2 one for #1 and so on and so on..?

Then chevron would own the most extensive pipelines in the world. bar none and have refineries everywhere. They don't and they aren't.

Some have stated the facts already and you were right until you dragged chevron into it.

Locally we have one refinery, Murphy oil.
The fuel goes to the fuel depot viva pipeline.

Chevrons, spur, sitgo, BP, shell etc.etc.all of there fuel goes through the same pipe. When it gets to chevrons fuel depot(storage tanks) that is when any additives are added, making the fuel chevrons.

Winter fuel is a blend of #1 & #2 fuel oil.
Summer is #2 of course and in some states it has to have a small % of bio.

This bouquet fuel of shells will only drive up the price of fuel and it is unneeded all you need is ol'#2, no additives are necessary.

·
Registered
901 Posts
"Except chevron. They are the only company with a dedicated system. Meaning only chevron gas goes in those lines."

We don't burn gas.
They must have a lot of pipes one for gas one fore #2 one for #1 and so on and so on..?

Then chevron would own the most extensive pipelines in the world. bar none and have refineries everywhere. They don't and they aren't.

Some have stated the facts already and you were right until you dragged chevron into it

Locally we have one refinery, Murphy oil.
The fuel goes to the fuel depot viva pipeline.

Chevrons, spur, sitgo, BP, shell etc.etc.all of there fuel goes through the same pipe. When it gets to chevrons fuel depot(storage tanks) that is when any additives are added, making the fuel chevrons.

Winter fuel is a blend of #1 & #2 fuel oil.
Summer is #2 of course and in some states it has to have a small % of bio.

This bouquet fuel of shells will only drive up the price of fuel and it is unneeded all you need is ol'#2, no additives are necessary.
whatever you say dude. I'm just telling what I saw on hist channel. Gas/diesel, it's used synonymously when we're talking transport.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
whatever you say dude. I'm just telling what I saw on hist channel. Gas/diesel, it's used synonymously when we're talking transport.
Don't confuse what flows through the pipeline with what gets transported to the stations. They are not the same.

·
Hello Kitty admirer
668 Posts
Yes its true. Talk to any tanker out they delivering. Additives are added when they pick the fuel up.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
"whatever you say dude"
Are you 12yr's old or something?

"Gas/diesel, it's used synonymously when we're talking transport"

Nope gas is gas. diesel fuel is diesel fuel.

Take it easy on him, he proubely thinks because he saw it on T.V. that it has to be real.

Pipeline 101.

Refined Products Pipelines
The nation's crude oil pipelines transport crude oil from oilfields to refineries where the oil is turned into dozens of useful products such as gasoline, home heating oil, jet fuel, diesel, lubricants and the raw materials for fertilizer, chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
Products pipelines then transport refined products to terminals or local distribution centers. Refined products are then distributed to the companies and consumers who rely on a steady and economically transported supply of these products.
Most gasoline and diesel fuel supplies are delivered to the marketplace by pipelines - from refineries to local distribution centers. Tanker trucks carry gasoline only the last few miles of the trip to individual service stations. Major American airports rely almost entirely on pipelines, and have dedicated pipelines to deliver jet fuel directly to the airport.

Almost all plastics are made from resins and other raw materials derived from oil. From our office desks to children's toys, we touch some sort of petroleum-based product almost every moment of our day.
There are approximately 95,000 miles nationwide of refined products pipelines. Refined products pipelines are found in almost every state in the U.S., with the exception of some New England states. These refined product pipelines vary in size from relatively small 8 to 12 inch diameter lines up to 42 inches in diameter.
The map below shows major refined products pipelines in the U.S.

Then if you can handed that.:rof a more in depth site with some interesting reading on shipping ULSD

Energy Information Administration (EIA) - The Transition to Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel Fuel: Effects on Prices and Supply

"
The Role of Refined Petroleum Product Pipelines
Oil pipelines transport more crude oil and refined petroleum products in the United States than any other means of transportation.70 Typically, as common carriers (which transport for any shipper on a nondiscriminatory basis),"

"The behavior of sulfur molecules in ULSD has not been field-tested to allow conclusions about whether pipeline wall contamination is a real problem or simply a fear, and whether the migration of sulfur will require a significant increase in the volume downgraded at the interface."

"Typically, refined oil products are transported from a source location, such as a refinery or bulk terminal, to a distribution terminal near a market area. Large aboveground storage tanks at an origin location accumulate and hold a given petroleum product pending its entry into the pipeline for transport. Petroleum products are also stored temporarily in aboveground storage tanks at destination terminals. Such tanks usually are dedicated to holding a single petroleum product or grade. Most storage tanks used in pipeline operation are filled and drained up to four or more times per month."

Dude:thumbsup:

seeing as I'm on a roll and may never get off of probation.
(I was getting sooo close)

Ps.

Diesel

From diesel fuel depot treatment to aftermarket shelves, IPAC offers you many choices to improve the quality of your fuels. Detergents, Cetane Improvers, Fuel flow improvers and fuel stabilizers are among the efficient performance additives you can employ to both improve your products and broaden your product portfolio into new areas. Fuel Additives | International Petroleum Products & Additives Company, Inc. | Products

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"whatever you say dude"
Are you 12yr's old or something?

"Gas/diesel, it's used synonymously when we're talking transport"

Nope gas is gas. diesel fuel is diesel fuel.

Take it easy on him, he proubely thinks because he saw it on T.V. that it has to be real.

Pipeline 101.

The nation's crude oil pipelines transport crude oil from oilfields to refineries where the oil is turned into dozens of useful products such as gasoline, home heating oil, jet fuel, diesel, lubricants and the raw materials for fertilizer, chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
Products pipelines then transport refined products to terminals or local distribution centers. Refined products are then distributed to the companies and consumers who rely on a steady and economically transported supply of these products.
Most gasoline and diesel fuel supplies are delivered to the marketplace by pipelines - from refineries to local distribution centers. Tanker trucks carry gasoline only the last few miles of the trip to individual service stations. Major American airports rely almost entirely on pipelines, and have dedicated pipelines to deliver jet fuel directly to the airport.

Almost all plastics are made from resins and other raw materials derived from oil. From our office desks to children's toys, we touch some sort of petroleum-based product almost every moment of our day.
There are approximately 95,000 miles nationwide of refined products pipelines. Refined products pipelines are found in almost every state in the U.S., with the exception of some New England states. These refined product pipelines vary in size from relatively small 8 to 12 inch diameter lines up to 42 inches in diameter.
The map below shows major refined products pipelines in the U.S.

Then if you can handed that.:rof a more in depth site with some interesting reading on shipping ULSD

Energy Information Administration (EIA) - The Transition to Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel Fuel: Effects on Prices and Supply

"
The Role of Refined Petroleum Product Pipelines
Oil pipelines transport more crude oil and refined petroleum products in the United States than any other means of transportation.70 Typically, as common carriers (which transport for any shipper on a nondiscriminatory basis),"

"The behavior of sulfur molecules in ULSD has not been field-tested to allow conclusions about whether pipeline wall contamination is a real problem or simply a fear, and whether the migration of sulfur will require a significant increase in the volume downgraded at the interface."

"Typically, refined oil products are transported from a source location, such as a refinery or bulk terminal, to a distribution terminal near a market area. Large aboveground storage tanks at an origin location accumulate and hold a given petroleum product pending its entry into the pipeline for transport. Petroleum products are also stored temporarily in aboveground storage tanks at destination terminals. Such tanks usually are dedicated to holding a single petroleum product or grade. Most storage tanks used in pipeline operation are filled and drained up to four or more times per month."

Dude:thumbsup:

seeing as I'm on a roll and may never get off of probation.
(I was getting sooo close)

Ps.

Diesel

From diesel fuel depot treatment to aftermarket shelves, IPAC offers you many choices to improve the quality of your fuels. Detergents, Cetane Improvers, Fuel flow improvers and fuel stabilizers are among the efficient performance additives you can employ to both improve your products and broaden your product portfolio into new areas. Fuel Additives | International Petroleum Products & Additives Company, Inc. | Products[/QUOTE

Wow, all I really wanted to know was if it was worth the extra $$$ for V power diesel. End conclusion I guess I will just have to try it out. Shell states on their website that it has all the goodies (anti gel, cetane improver, lubricity improver and detergents) already added. I will run a couple of tanks full and compare it to just the regular ULSD and see if I do actual notice a difference...

·
Registered
296 Posts
it would probably be worth it if you could count on them to actually add the additives at a constant level. the additives are needed. ULSD has only about 70% the lubricity of LSD. when it was introduced, the government actually dropped the lubricity level required in diesel fuel to accomodate the oil companies in production. i would never run without additives for cetane and lubricity.

·
Registered
591 Posts
for what it's worth, I've tried it a few times (purchased in Red Deer) and have found no difference in my 06 - neither in mileage, nor performance/power. I keep detailed, hand-calculated mileage records. Someone I know said he gets a bit better mileage using the v-power, he has an 05.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts