Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys my 97 Cummins started this awful shaking when turning while driving at normal speed my tire on the passenger side is wearing on the outside I replaced a wheel bearing a few months ago so I'm thinking ball joints but I can't be Shure I crawled under and looked I seen no grease leaks any advice whould be appreciated thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
What's up guys my 97 Cummins started this awful shaking when turning while driving at normal speed my tire on the passenger side is wearing on the outside I replaced a wheel bearing a few months ago so I'm thinking ball joints but I can't be Shure I crawled under and looked I seen no grease leaks any advice whould be appreciated thanks in advance
Could also be a bad axle shaft u-joint since they are full time splined to the hub unless you have aftermarket hubs installed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Axle u joint(s) for sure

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i jacked up the front end the u joint has no play or any noise can it still be bad just want to make shure before i replace it

·
Registered
239 Posts
thanks guys i jacked up the front end the u joint has no play or any noise can it still be bad just want to make shure before i replace it
Yes, usually u-joints will get stiff before they get loose.

A stiff axle u-joint will definitely cause what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the front universal joints seemed to help a little but I'm still getting the shaking and pulling to the right when I let go of the steering wheel if anybody chould help thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Changed the front universal joints seemed to help a little but I'm still getting the shaking and pulling to the right when I let go of the steering wheel if anybody chould help thanks in advance
Were those the stub axle joints , and how were the unit bearings

Also please check the track bar ends

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yea did you replace the front driveshaft u-joints or front axle u-joints? I was talking about axle u-joints.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Bent axle or inner c. Check castor, camber, toe and SAI.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is 4wd how do I check the castor I pulled both axel when I changed the uni joints they didnt seem bent

·
On call 24/7
12,412 Posts
Did you make sure 4wd is no engaged?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I’m referring to the axle tube and housing being tweaked. Difficult to see if it’s only one or two degrees. An alignment rack would be best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts