Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 4 months, my rig has been shaking from left to right when braking. I don't own the truck anymore my father does and he takes care of it has best he can. My father did some "research" and said that it was probably the upper and lower control arm bushing were worn and needed replacing. So we replaced them on both sides to discover that was DEFINETLY not the reason :doh:. As far as I know, the rotors arent warped but they could very well be. I've never personally inspected them. I live in a very dry climate in the high desert of southern California.

I've done a little of my own research and have read that it may be the brake system. The shaking happens maybe once out of every 2 stops. Some shakes seem more violent than others. The entire truck shakes, the steering wheel rotates left and right while shaking. ALSO to add to the problem, the rear end feels as if its bouncing off the ground while I'm braking :hehe:.

I'm hoping that I can get some help on here from ya'll! :confused013:

As for now, I'm trying to locate the leak in my radiator which isnt leaking from hoses or clamps but I think the radiator itself. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
maybe your rotors and drums are just destroyed?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That could also be a possibility. The front brakes were changed about 5k miles ago and as for the drums, I don't know if shoes were replaced or not. The rear shocks are over 100k miles old the front are less than 8k miles old.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a problem with a bad vibration like you described, put drums and shoes on the rear and fixed it. I do not know how it was transferring the vibration to the front,but that fixed mine.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
That could also be a possibility. The front brakes were changed about 5k miles ago and as for the drums, I don't know if shoes were replaced or not. The rear shocks are over 100k miles old the front are less than 8k miles old.
haha, yeah, you need new shocks...look at the Bilstein 5100's...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It feels like more than just suspension. I believe that the bouncing in the back is all or mostly due to old shocks but as for the front, it has to be something else. I'm gunna see if my father is down for bleeding brake fluid and seeing if that cures our problem. HOPEFULLY it will. I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
These trucks have a problem with front end search death wobble. a few of the parts are steering stabilizer, there s a bar looks like a hitch that going under front frame but no guarantee on weather it works. My buddy Has done everything to his truck whole front end as well as two parts i said, still having problem

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For the past 4 months, my rig has been shaking from left to right when braking. I don't own the truck anymore my father does and he takes care of it has best he can. My father did some "research" and said that it was probably the upper and lower control arm bushing were worn and needed replacing. So we replaced them on both sides to discover that was DEFINETLY not the reason :doh:. As far as I know, the rotors arent warped but they could very well be. I've never personally inspected them. I live in a very dry climate in the high desert of southern California.

I've done a little of my own research and have read that it may be the brake system. The shaking happens maybe once out of every 2 stops. Some shakes seem more violent than others. The entire truck shakes, the steering wheel rotates left and right while shaking. ALSO to add to the problem, the rear end feels as if its bouncing off the ground while I'm braking :hehe:.

I'm hoping that I can get some help on here from ya'll! :confused013:

As for now, I'm trying to locate the leak in my radiator which isnt leaking from hoses or clamps but I think the radiator itself. :banghead:
Balljoints could be bad, wheel bearings could have some play or there is rotor parallelism issues. Is this a 2wd or 4x4? If its 4x4 you could be experiencing intermitent death wobble.

It sounds like you might have something loose in the rear end or the drums have a insane amount of runout. Check to make sure your U-bolts are tight and the lift blocks (if its 4x4) are centered.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is the shake more in the steering wheel or more in the seat when it happens? Sounds like calipers could be freezing up or loose front end parts. Check everything well before replacing parts and spending your money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts