Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home with my 06 Mega 4X4, I found it with 33K miles.

I'm looking to start making some light mods for now, nothing too crazy yet.

I found the Quadzilla boost fooler and was wondering does the smarty or smarty jr already have this incorporated into it?

What's the best mod to make 1st from the people that have been down the modification highway?

Also, my factory air cleaner looks really nasty. The previous owner never cleaned it I don't think. I was thinking maybe I should go ahead and get an aftermarket airbox and filter instead of just buying another stock filter. I found a S&B stage 1 and stage 2 ?????????? What's the difference and do they add much noise or just whistle inside the cabin

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Intake and exhaust first. Boost fooler is a waste (for the most part) unless you upgrade your trubo. Smarty boost fools in a sense, but technically isn't a fooler. It allows the turbo to spool to higher pressures.

I'd say Stage 2 since it'll rid of the stock intake tube. If you want more turbo noise, do a search for silencer ring removal. If youwant more noise with stock intake tube, go to the 3rd gen tech articles and take a look at "gutting the torque tube".

After intake and exhaust you will need gauges. Then you can get a programmer or chip....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may have said that wrong. I'd prefer to stay on the quieter side of things. There are several brands and types to choose from. Any preferences?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Okay, if you want quiet go with a stage one, but you will hinder performance a bit.

If you want to save some $$, do a cat and muffler delete, and then install a high-flow muffler. It'll keep you pretty quiet and the exhaust flowing good...

·
Banned
5,591 Posts
Save some money and keep the stock air box. Cut a hole in the bottom and run a tube down. You do not want an open box since you will get much warmer intake air, and that kills power. There has been a lot of testing on this. Get an drop-in filter. A lot of people like AFE and S+B, you can't really go wrong. Also, get a cool-hose to replace the factory intake tubing. Warning here... you will get more turbo whistle, but it will not be loud. I would look for a free flowing muffler, out with the old, in with the new. Probably don't need to replace the whole system. Also, replace the stock intake elbow. These are easy mods, and don't cost too much. For some added power, economy, and gauges, the Edge Juice with Attitude is great. 5 levels of power, safety levels built in, and a whole lot of gauges! Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
78, thanks for all the input. I ordered the S&B intake today from work. I called them to ask what the difference was in stage 1 and stage 2. They said they don't have stages just a newer design that some resellers label as stage 2. Anyway, I got it ordered. He said it wouldn't be very loud, maybe just a little more whistle.

So now on to the exhaust.

("I would look for a free flowing muffler, out with the old, in with the new.")

I assume the stock pipe is 3". Is this big enough or do I need to upgrade to the total 4" system. Sounds like a 3" replacement muffler would be much cheaper. Again, I don't want to get very loud. I would think the 4" would keep the EGT's lower.

Sorry for all the questions just looking to do it right the first time and on a tight budget so the ol' lady doesn't kill me in my sleep.

Does the Edge tuner monitor EGT's and boost? Do I have to add sensors and such or does it get the info from the stock ECU?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
You have 4" from the factory, just replace the muffler if your on a budget and yes the edge j/a does monitor that, it does egts boost, tranny if auto and much more also backs down power if any thing is outa wack and has audiable alarms, it just plugs in, you do need to drill for egt probe, its a great setup for the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts