Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im trying to figure out a few things for my truck. I mainly use to to tow a horse trailer and as a DD.

Gauges aside. here is what i want to be able to do safely: use a power puck, bhaf, and exhaust. right now it only has the bhaf. What fuel pump mods should i do? i am in college so dont tell me a FASS, i need it to be relatively cheap and cheaper the better yet still reliable.

holley relocated to the frame rail? a different pump at the frame rail? raptor? what about bd diesel stuff?

as i said i just want it to be reliable, i dont care about blowing crazy smoke and having a ridiculous amount of hp/tq. I am pretty happy with the truck now, and i think the puck will be just fine for me so that is the main thing.

thanks guys.:yourock:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a walbro pump with adjustable bypass regulator Id sell you for $120. Its got like one tank of fuel on it, and then I got a great deal on a FASS. You mount it on the frame rail. My cummins buddies all run them and they run 21psi at idle!

·
Registered
83 Posts
id go with a raptor pump there good and pretty reasonable with a lifetime warranty. i believe it was around 379.00 shipped to us not much higher than the stock pump was. i might think about an ez its gets me 20 to 23 mpg on the highway 17 to 19 mpg in town and pulling cattle trailer 13 to 15 mpg and it will blow some smoke if u want it to

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ill second that. I love my EZ for towing and daily.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
X3 the EZ, and then some rv275's. i used to run this setup, and it was a beast. also the walboro is nice, so is the BD, and the ppe pump too. all on a budget, and reliable

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I 4th the EZ, it made a world of difference from stock, and I ran that set up, up until I upgraded to the J/A, I know you are on a budget, and depending how much use you actually put on your truck, it might be alot cheaper just to get an Airdog now instead of sifting thru parts and pumps to get one to work properly, I say this cause I bought x2 stock pumps and for less money I got an Airdog. (499$) w/ lifetime warranty
It all depends on perspective, you can go cheap, but what good is it to you when your broke down in the middle of no where, but to play devils advicate, if your truck does not see lots of use too far from home you very well may get many yrs of good reliable service.

No matter what you do relocate the pump back next to the tank, and get a gauge, and should it be a cheap pump, keep a spare(your old stock one if it still works) under the back seat, along with the tools needed to replace it. Loco Offroads offer looks like a cheaper option, you might take him up on it

An Airdog works for me as I run 8-10hr days and to me its peace of mind, I've learned the hard way sometimes cheap and reliable dont always go together

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll definitely look into the edge ez, sounds like a good product. an airdog is in my future for sure, i just need a temporary solution until i can afford the AD. (i know do it right the first time, im just outta work right now so until then...another solution will have to do.)

thanks for the input so far guys. keep ideas coming.

·
Registered
271 Posts
for a reliabe yet temporary fix a holley or airtex is a good route to take. I've heard something about the holley black's being more corrosion resistant than the holley blue's, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for a reliabe yet temporary fix a holley or airtex is a good route to take. I've heard something about the holley black's being more corrosion resistant than the holley blue's, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what i understand about the holley's is that the blue is not meant for diesel and the black is. it seems the blue's seals will be eaten away by the diesel whereas the black's seals wont.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
I have a raptor 150 with a powerpuck and the truck def. rips especially down low. I got my powerpuck for 100 bucks used. Raptor 150 comes with everything you need to hook it up and yes it mounts to the frame rail.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Last time I towed I had everything in my sig minus the DD clutch, 120 HP injectors, & GT3788R turbo. I had the GT3782R turbo instead & that was a great towing set up. More than enuff power to pull what ever i wanted & the EGT's never got out of hand. I was extreamly happy with the way it towed for having 37" tires & 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
& BTW I would (personaly) just buy a FASS or AirDog for the lift pump. They may be more expensive than the Holly pumps But IMO there well worth it! I learned my lesson from trying to go cheap on my truck & ended up costing me around 6K in the long run. Do it right the first time. IMO you will be better off in the long run. But that is just my .02

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a raptor 150 with a powerpuck and the truck def. rips especially down low. I got my powerpuck for 100 bucks used. Raptor 150 comes with everything you need to hook it up and yes it mounts to the frame rail.
So you like the puck?

I was really happy when i first got the truck and it had the stock 265s. I felt it towed well and power was good. When i got the 285s i noticed a significant loss of power. i would be happy if i got back to the feeling it was before, will the puck do that for me? i dont want anything crazy, just a little more power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts