Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Service DEF System See Dealer

200071 91
Got this message today ("Service DEF System See Dealer :confused013:) on my truck and I've researched it but have not found any definitive answer on what it could be!!! My def tank still shows 1/3 full and I haven't had any problems driving it. Some say its from not having enough fluid, but I've researched it and my truck would have thrown a completely different code.

Just wondering if any of you had this issue.

If not, I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine had been doing the same thing, took it 2 different times for them to finally (I think) fix the problem. It was the DEF sensor & the DEF pump. It hasn't happened since getting it fixed. Mine would only happen if the outside temp was below 50 degrees

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Got this message today ("Service DEF System See Dealer :confused013:) on my truck and I've researched it but have not found any definitive answer on what it could be!!! My def tank still shows 1/3 full and I haven't had any problems driving it. Some say its from not having enough fluid, but I've researched it and my truck would have thrown a completely different code.

Just wondering if any of you had this issue.

If not, I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks!
Mine did it. Warning, you may get a limp mode soon.

If you get a limp mode warning, either take it straight to the dealer, with no restarts, or, get a code reader and clear it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My truck gave me service DEF when it was -30 outside. The dealer reset the code the next day it happened again. They say its because of the cold temps, anyone have this issue?
I don't think temp along is suppose to set off the warning. DEF freezing was one of the questions many asked, and Cummins/Ram stated that there were coolant lines to melt the DEF, if it froze. And even when frozen, the truck should work fine..

If the truck is suppose to know the DEF is frozen, based on outside temp or bay whatever means, why would it tell you to have it serviced? Sounds like a sensor is bad or maybe the coolant lines, to heat the DEF, aren't getting hot... Regardless, the ECM must have picked up something that's wasn't suppose to happen, for it to give you that message....

I guess what I'm saying is that something was wrong for it to give you that message.. I don't think temp alone would have cause the message.

BTW, here's a Cummins Q&A on DEF... It is not how the Ram w/Cummins is suppose to act. It's specific to DEF...

Q. Is the 32.5% urea solution critical?
A.Yes, The 32.5% urea concentration is the ideal solution as it provides the lowest freeze point. Also, SCR systems will be calibrated to the 32.5%, so that optimum NOx will be reduced during operation.
Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.
Q. Does DEF expand when frozen?
A. Yes, DEF expands by approximately 7% when frozen. DEF packaging and tanks are designed to allow for expansion.
Q. How much does DEF weigh?
A. DEF weighs approximately 9 pounds per gallon.
Q.How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes in the tank on the vehicle?
A. During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, start up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank's they scanned it and did an update on Friday evening said it was fine. Today it came on again I went back they told me it was the cold weather if the truck was driving ok keep using it until it causes an issue. If it keeps up being it back again and they will check it out. The truck only has 3000 km on it and doesn't idle much. Should I continue to drive? If its the sensor will it disable the truck eventually?

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Last time I got this message....er....that's right, I ain't got no stinkin' DEF to worry about! :stirpot: :party018:

Reactions: Klbhammond87

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had mine in yesterday for check engine light, was told there is an update for the DEF heater to kick in at lower temp's due to the fact it is water based and could freeze. Did the update and I was down the road about an hour later.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Service tickets reads as follows:

Found stored DTC P204A reductant pressure sensor circuit and pending DTC P209F reductant tank heater control circuit performance. Checked TSB's and star cases. Nothing found. Codes stored. Erased codes. Test drove. Can not get to act up again.

PCM update has new Doser thaw calibrations that may fix the issue

Completed diagnostic work sheet per TSB 18-022-13

It was -15 yesterday morning when I was going to do some running around, luckily dealer is only about 5 miles from house. I did notice my water temp got a little over half way - never gets to that point. They asked me if temp got to 3/4? Drove yesterday and temp stayed well below half way. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the urea based Dodge emissions system follows the same general design parameters as the systems on GM and Ford, which were introduced in 2011, the DEF pump is programmed not to try to build pressure until the engine temperature reaches a set value, close to normal running temperature. In the case of GM, this is about 100 degs C. This delay ensures that the DEF tank and lines heating system has plenty of time to do it's job before the ECM requests DEF. DEF freezing has NOT been a characteristic of the Ford and GM systems, so it is unlikely that it will be a problem for Dodge either. Could be the system just needs a little tweaking to ensure that DEF is available before the pump tries to build pressure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sometimes, again based on Ford/GM experience since 2011, Service DEF System messages don't actually mean there is something wrong with the DEF system.

Much more common is failure of a NOX sensor. When a NOX sensor fails, the monitoring system sees NOX emissions out of spec, and tries to correct the problem by adjusting the amount of DEF being injected into the exhaust. This will not work, of course, if a NOX sensor is faulty. The inability to correct the NOX emissions is then interpreted by the system as being caused by insufficient DEF, and a message is triggered asking for the DEF system to be serviced.

It is complications like this that can cause problems at the dealership where technicians often do not fully understand the operation of the emissions system and how the individual components interact. As a result, they sometimes replace the wrong part, which in turn results in multiple visits to get a problem corrected.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I got the DEF system needs service this AM. However, it sat outside in -20F over night. Maybe the DEF just did not thaw out soon enough?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine was at the dealer last week for 4 days. They said it was the doser module. I picked it up and the light was still on. It was after hours. Truck only has 700 miles on it. Brought it in today and they did the PCM update. Light is still in. There gonna work on it in the morning. Pretty sad for a 60k truck. My 2012 doesn't have the def and there has been no probs with that truck.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I didn't get the "Service DEF See Dealer" message, but my check engine light did turn on and when I read the code, it's P204A. I'll clear it and see what happens. It's been quite cold here (0 degrees F in the morning) but it was about 16 out when I got the message, and it was after having driven the truck a few miles and coming back to it after about half an hour.

Duncan

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.