Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had my truck in for work and needed a few little things addressed. One being the DEF usage. The dealership ultimately found the there was an update for the PCM and reflashed it. I looked up the Service Bulletin that was performed and holy geez, there are a lot of issues addressed with this update. I was able to print out the bulletin for everyone to read. It’s recent and dated August 7, 2020

One thing that peaked my curiosity was the information regarding the CP4. There apparently are two versions and this shows you how to depict the two. One being asymmetrical (old style) and the other being symmetrical. (Edited)

Anyway, happy reading!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional pages...

Reactions: RankRam

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool info, ironically I have the issues noted but they say they pertain to the HO, which I don't have. I also looked at how to determine which pump I have which doesn't correlate to either pump they say these trucks have.. Are there more than 2 styles? interesting...

EODT

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool info, ironically I have the issues noted but they say they pertain to the HO, which I don't have. I also looked at how to determine which pump I have which doesn't correlate to either pump they say these trucks have.. Are there more than 2 styles? interesting...

EODT

Does your pump look like this one?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had my truck in for work and needed a few little things addressed. One being the DEF usage. The dealership ultimately found the there was an update for the PCM and reflashed it. I looked up the Service Bulletin that was performed and holy geez, there are a lot of issues addressed with this update. I was able to print out the bulletin for everyone to read. It’s recent and dated August 7, 2020

One thing that peaked my curiosity was the information regarding the CP4. There apparently are two versions and this shows you how to depict the two. One being asymmetrical (old style) and the other being symmetrical. Mine has the newer version and they reprogrammed accordingly but I’m curious to the differences.

Anyway, happy reading!!!
View attachment 911874 View attachment 911875 View attachment 911876
Where do you pull and print the service bulletins from? My dealer won’t ever hand them over—-says they’re proprietary...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Where do you pull and print the service bulletins from? My dealer won’t ever hand them over—-says they’re proprietary...
How many times have you been to the dealer already asking? I thought you just got the truck like 2 weeks ago, if there even is a truck.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well damn, I take back what I posted in the beginning. I was told wrong and apparently have the old Asymmetrical pump. That’s discouraging. 😩

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks . That means I have the old sure to fail pump?
Honestly it’s all up in the air I think with the CP4 at this point. I’m doing “short interval” fuel filter changes, running about 6-8 ounces of diesel kleen in every tank and trying to find premium diesel as much as possible. Not sure there is anything else to do but that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Honestly it’s all up in the air I think with the CP4 at this point. I’m doing “short interval” fuel filter changes, running about 6-8 ounces of diesel kleen in every tank and trying to find premium diesel as much as possible. Not sure there is anything else to do but that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is “premium” about “Premium Diesel” and how’s that supposed to help the longevity of the fuel pump?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you actually found any with less than 5% anywhere though?
No not road diesel, but I find a lot with higher than that so I avoid those with higher levels whenever possible. It's nearly impossible to find less than B5 but it seems to be more common to find B20 and since B20 can be 6%-20%, I just try to find B5 and do the filters early and Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Searching the internet for "premium diesel" I see a responses ranging from "has a higher cetane number, better lubricity and includes detergents that provide injector-cleaning capability " to "your motor was engineered to consume regular diesel only. In the worst case scenario, you might end up with damaged mechanicals due to premium diesel. In the best case, you won’t gain anything. With premium diesel, you have a lot to lose, and nothing to gain."

Very informative, don't you think?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How has your truck been running since you had it reflashed?
There’s really been no difference other than the trans relearning everything. Seems like it’s still using DEF as fast as it did before. 1/4 tank of DEF in about 300 miles. Fuel mileage is the same as before which I’m happy with.

We are currently on a trip to Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon and this truck is doing great. It pulls amazing and this exhaust break is just fantastic. Last tank the dash registered 9.9 mpg. I can’t complain considering I’m pulling close to 12k lbs.
241AA764-479A-447A-B556-FA3EFDE5D5BB.jpeg
348C95BC-2432-48F3-93EB-02A0DD4F495E.jpeg

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just did mine. Seat of the pants feels stronger. Shifting is butter smooth, but I can't comment on fuel mileage and def usage as I just filled them full a couple days ago to see... I've also noticed a slight pedal vibration I had prior is mostly gone. This only happened at a certain rpm and certain pedal position. Nothing major most can't even tell when driving my truck. I notice everything always soo lol...

EODT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts