Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever get this message? I'm just curious if it actually works or if I should change my air filter at some pre-determined interval like my '03 called for (which was every 15K miles if I recall). As I read through my new-found "Ram Truck Diesel Supplement" I'm learning things about this truck that I didn't know before.

Anyway, per this manual, the truck will tell me when it's time to change the air filter. Has anyone ever actually got the "service air filter" message?

·
Go Packers
6,323 Posts
I am at 11,200 miles on sig truck, have not yet got this message. I too, am interested in what others have found out about this.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I've got 25000 on mine and never seen the message. I did change the filter recently though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had this message pop-up when I was pushing the sig. hard in the mountains. I pulled over, gave the filter a hit on the bumper to knock out any dirt, re-installed it and the message went away. My guess was that the engine was starved for air and thought the filter was dirty.
I cannot speak on an actual "interval period" for the air filer and others can chime in, but I would be suprised if it was.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
The light is said to come on when the air flow sensor detects a lack in air flow, I have never known anyone to have this message appear. I change my air filter, with a stock mopar replacement, every 15k, when I change my fuel filter, it's an easy maiapntence schedule to remember.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed mine at 15,000 as mentioned above but it really didn't need it. Looked very clean. I'll probably adopt a "30K mile or whenever the light comes on" strategy. Then it will get changed every 30,000 whether it needs it or not. Or maybe I'll just wait and see how long it goes before that light goes on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have over 40k on mine, and have not had the message. Personally, I like the "old" vacuum gauge on the airbox that previous models had, it worked well and I could tell at a glance if it was bad. Like everything else, rely on sensors and a computer to mess it up...er make it better.

·
Registered
223 Posts
64000 on mine an never seen the message. Been accross country 6 times, lots of towing, lots of trail riding an hunting through the rocky mtns of montana to washington.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have had it come on a half dozen times or so. Always packed solid of snow driving in storms. IMO it comes on way to late for a normal reminder it was very apparent the truck was starved for air.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I used to have mine come on during "aggressive" driving. Thought it was just a fluke as my filter minder always stayed in the green zone.
Checked the filter at 50k miles and it was caked full of crap and replaced it, never to see the message again. The filter minder still hasn't moved from the green zone. What a pos...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine came on one time about 6 months after I bought it new while towing and getting on it. It went away and has never returned. I do changed my air filter when I change the fuel filter every 15k miles. I don't trust that POS sensor. Doubt I'll ever see it again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts