Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had there service 4wd light come on and 4wd not work on there trucks? Mine has the manual transfer case and i cant get the 4wd to engage. It makes a grinding sound when i go to do this. Haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet (not that i want to deal with the dealer) and wanted to see if its something i can fix my self. Truck drives fine ect just no 4wd. Could it just be a sensor or something?

·
Registered
519 Posts
If its grinding and not engaging, something is wrong. It sounds like the CAD actuator might have failed. While moving SLOW and you try the 4wd, do you feel the grinding in the 4wd shifter through your hand, or hear/feel it in the chassis of the truck?

The new trucks use a Central Axle Disconnect system on the front axle housing to lower rolling resistance. Maybe this actuator failed and threw the 4wd code. :confused013: I don't see the BW44-47 case going bad unless you are beating the crap out of it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel the grinding while trying to engage it while at stopped I never try to engage while moving. I've used the 4wd maybe a hand full of times and at very slow speed just to keep from getting stuck in the sand while towing my 5er.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I feel the grinding while trying to engage it while at stopped I never try to engage while moving. I've used the 4wd maybe a hand full of times and at very slow speed just to keep from getting stuck in the sand while towing my 5er.
I have always been taught by Dad and Grandad to try to engage the 4wd HI while moving slow so as to allow all the gears to slot up and engage.

4wd LO is designed to be engaged from a stand still as you have to go through 'N'eutral on the case. If you are 'feeling' the grinding it sounds like it is a problem in the case. I can't imagine why it would grind while standing still. :confused013:

How about going into 4wd LO?

·
Cummins Freak
3,254 Posts
Have you looked under the truck at the rod that engages the manual transfer case to make sure something hasn't come loose??? Try to engage it by hand from under the truck by the lever while somebody is in the truck with their foot on the brake of course!!!! Could just be out of adjustment!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts