Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Gearhead
99 Posts
Well just got back from Virginia .about 900 mile round trip pulling the Toy Hauler .Only had 3 Check engine lights lol what a joke . But even though this engineering failure complains a lot .... It ran good and got 14 mpg pretty flat no mountains . P020A and 2 P0299 codes ..cleaned the mass censor in VA ...Nope 2099 came on again ..and cleared codes 300 miles left on trip they never came back on ? LOL 3 hrs in the Bronx traffic 1 hr stopped at the top on the Washington bridge surrounded within inches of Simi trucks could feel the bridge moving awesome ! missed exit 11 on the NJT to go around man did i pay for that . Just ordered a new Mopar Air filter ..Neither of these codes really had anything to do with the DEF system. Injector One never came back on had injector 5 before about a year ago at the same time the Cheap Doorman Nox sensor was failing ? Most of all that 342 gear is really useless .My 5.9 with a 373 was much nicer never searched for a gear up any grade . Well it did run flawless even though it was warning me of low turbo boost my gauge was showing up to 24 lbs on light grades and around around 17 psi at 70 mph . thinking maybe air filter replace first and then Mass censor if code comes up again . Great trip all and all

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m seriously not gonna read anymore of these threads. Makes me worry and wish I’d just kept my 2005 big block 8.1 with 5-speed Allison.

On the other hand, makes me feel guilty I’m the new guy who DDs his and has had no problems from a truck that had literally never been to a dealer in 5 years until I took it for a new key fob. Other than a super dirty air filter. Which was my fault.

·
P2609 Fanatic
4,530 Posts
I’m seriously not gonna read anymore of these threads. Makes me worry and wish I’d just kept my 2005 big block 8.1 with 5-speed Allison.
Not to worry @Mega_Newb it's just part of the Ram/Cummins ownership experience. :ROFLMAO:

BTW, my truck is imaculat & trouble free and I still worry...
...but mostly because its a diesel and not so much because its a Ram. (y)
-Ej-

·
White Lightning
14,228 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
An 04 8.1? Never heard of anyone lemon law-ing an 8.1. Excessive oil consumption from bad PCV on the 99-02s, Crank position sensors on a few, other than that, bulletproof. Mine was still running like a scalded dog when I sold it with 177k on the clock.

Only reason I sold it, couldn’t find a stock suspension setup (mainly front IFS cross member). With a 6” lift and 35s, it towed our 10k lb 36 ft bumper pull acceptably (lots of bouncing over bridges) at 60-65 mph but at 8 mpg that 26 gal tank was gone real quick. Couldn’t do cross country like that.

·
P2609 Fanatic
4,530 Posts
Okay, let's get things back on track here. . .

Have had five to six dealer visits and repairs due to DEF alert and limp mode issues. Replaced sensors, pump, catalytic converter on 2019 RAM 3500.
Vacation was ruined. Think before you travel as who is going to help you if your truck craps out, dealers can’t help you, insurance will only tow to nearest service.
The reality was no dealer help, no loaner truck, no way to get my trailer home 800 miles away and no one to help me if i needed towing. Made it home sitting on the edge of my seat.
SELLING THE RAM!
But to clarify the issue @grclark50, you're actually selling the Ram because it's a diesel, NOT because its a Ram.

My Longhorn is pretty much flawless but I cant afford to be a diesel owner so it's really not the truck's fault at all.
However. . .
  • If you can afford to know that at any moment anything can go wrong (and it will cause a bundle to fix).
  • If you can afford the fuel, repair, & maintenance costs.
  • If you can afford to get stranded 800 miles from home with a trailer & family on board, then a diesel is fine.
  • And I wont get into the cold weather and long idle issues that BTW gas engines are impervious to.
There are plenty of diesel fanboys that live that way and accept it all as perfectly normal. I'm happy for them.
As for me, at this point in my life I have better things to do with my free time and money than cater to a trouble prone emissions compliant diesel.

My diesel Ram is a lot like owning a nice Pro Street Car. . .

Great hobby, fun to drive, feels good to own, beautiful vehicle... but not what I'd take an 800 mile road trip in. :sneaky:

In February I'm hauling the camper to a spot in North Central PA. It's about 300 miles NW of here. I hope the weather is mild because getting stranded in a winter storm adds a whole new aspect to diesel survival.

You know... Silly things like freezing to death because I bought a diesel when what's needed for environments like this is a reliable, warm blooded, very road-repairable gasser.

Happy Travels @grclark50, and keep us posted on what you're new camper hauler will be.(y)
-Ej-

·
P2609 Fanatic
4,530 Posts
I'm glad to see your sarcasm game has come so far EJ.
I'm back from the Thanksgiving holiday and needed to sharpen my skills a bit.
1.) Accused of being a Troll.
2.) Accused of not contributing anything "helpful" to the thread.
I just cant understand it... grclark50 thinks I'm 100% on point.
Betcha' Zinga would roll with it too. ;)
-Ej- 🦃

·
White Lightning
14,228 Posts
@Electrojake

About the only thing that has a reasonable chance of “rolling” is that archaic, knuckle-dragging rig of yours, due to that turd slide-in kamper.

If Ralph Nader wasn’t schittttting his Depends about every 1.5 hours, nothing would please me more than for you to take him on a nice, spirited drive down the Tail of The Dragon, after putting away the vast majority of a 1.75L of some good ol’ Wild Turkey, all whilst sporting a nice straitjacket.

That, friends........would be some wholesome family entertainment.

·
P2609 Fanatic
4,530 Posts
@Electrojake
If Ralph Nader wasn’t schittttting his Depends about every 1.5 hours, nothing would please me more than for you to take him on a nice, spirited drive down the Tail of The Dragon, after putting away the vast majority of a 1.75L of some good ol’ Wild Turkey, all whilst sporting a nice straitjacket.
That, friends........would be some wholesome family entertainment.
Speaking of Ralph Nader.... Back in the early 70's I did own a red 62 Chevy Corvair. . .

And as for The Tail of The Dragon... I'd like to do it on my DL1000 just to say I done it on a bike.(y)

Now, as for my pristeen pearl white "Cummins/AISIN" pickup...
It's parked till February, then if I can get the snow & ice off the cover without damaging anything I'll be headed north toward the Great Lakes in search of a blizzard.

P.S., Wild Turkey and straight jacket???
No Sir... Just beer and a lawn chair in the snow. ⛄

Well, maybe just a bit of shock treatment to take the edge off. . .

-Ej- 🍺

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm back from the Thanksgiving holiday and needed to sharpen my skills a bit.
1.) Accused of being a Troll.
2.) Accused of not contributing anything "helpful" to the thread.
I just cant understand it... grclark50 thinks I'm 100% on point.
Betcha' Zinga would roll with it too. ;)
-Ej- 🦃
Some people are never happy. I am sure Zinga is on another Diesel forum spewing Ram Hate for no apparent reason other than to make his day drinking seem more pleasurable.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts