Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM Megacab 3500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had five to six dealer visits and repairs due to DEF alert and limp mode issues. Replaced sensors, pump, catalytic converter on 2019 RAM 3500. Last time replaced nox sensors and was told all was well. Been using premium DEF fluid, keep it filled. After 2k miles with no alert decided to pull 30 ft trailer to Bend OR about 800 miles from home. No sooner got there when the DEF alert came on, made it to the Bend Dealer, said he could not help me for weeks but did read the code and deleted it. Said the limp mode may come on anyway so decided to head home hoping for the best. The reality was no dealer help, no loaner truck, no way to get my trailer home 800 miles away and no one to help me if i needed towing. Made it home sitting on the edge of my seat hoping DEF alert didn’t come on. Vacation was ruined. Think before you travel as who is going to help you if your truck craps out, dealers can’t help you, insurance will only tow to nearest service. SELLING THE RAM!

·
Premium Member
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 68RFE 4 inch lift
2,033 Posts
When the lifters eat the the cam, and they will, have fun pulling the heads to get to them. Just saying you should explore other options with the Cummins.

·
Registered
2019 RAM Megacab 3500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the lifters eat the the cam, and they will, have fun pulling the heads to get to them. Just saying you should explore other options with the Cummins.
Have had 6 diesel trucks 2001 Dodge, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016 Duramax and 2019 Ram Cummins, The RAM has been the only problem. They make them so EPA friendly they won’t run reliably. No good answer anymore, just know I don’t trust the RAM after six visits to the dealer, and my last trip. Limp mode puts you in a real bad place 800 miles from home. Will say When it runs it runs good.

·
Registered
I know nothing.🙄
1,912 Posts
The only way I’ve seen bad DEF issues go away is making it all fall off...

Granted I wouldn’t even keep a 2019-2020 Ram even if I was offered cash.... which I was lol.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Buddy at my work had similar issues. turns out some of his fuses were not seated all the way in.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Have had 6 diesel trucks 2001 Dodge, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2016 Duramax and 2019 Ram Cummins, The RAM has been the only problem. They make them so EPA friendly they won’t run reliably. No good answer anymore, just know I don’t trust the RAM after six visits to the dealer, and my last trip. Limp mode puts you in a real bad place 800 miles from home. Will say When it runs it runs good.
Good luck buddy, you sure haven't had a good run from the sounds of it. A gas truck won't fix your issues, you'll get frustrated by something different.

·
Registered
2019 RAM Megacab 3500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only way I’ve seen bad DEF issues go away is making it all fall off...

Granted I wouldn’t even keep a 2019-2020 Ram even if I was offered cash.... which I was lol.
Surprisingly the dealer has offered several thousand more than i paid but there are no 2500/3500 trucks so it doesn’t make much difference.

Buddy at my work had similar issues. turns out some of his fuses were not seated all the way in.
When it was in the shop the last time about six weeks ago they ran page after page of tests, all past. Looks to me upon reviewing the maintenance that they really do check them thourouhly.

Good luck buddy, you sure haven't had a good run from the sounds of it. A gas truck won't fix your issues, you'll get frustrated by something different.
You might be right remembering why i went to diesel 20 years ago.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Switching from Ram to anything else will fix the one and only problem: Ram not fixing problems.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
11,277 Posts
Switching from Ram to anything else will fix the one and only problem: Ram not fixing problems.
And it will allow you to learn all the problems other manufacturers run into as well, so a true learning experience all the way around

2018 with just shy of 50k miles on it, not a single issue. But we will really know once i run out of the factory powertrain warranty which will be soon

·
Registered
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab, Rambox, Factory air suspension, modified by adding factory fifth wheel prep
398 Posts
55k on my 2017. Somewhere around the 25k mark I got some low DEF warning when I was full. Dealer replaced a sensor under warranty and no issues since.

I have had what I would consider minor trans issues with my 68RFE but other than that the truck has been great.

I would absolutely buy one again. Love the reliability of my Cummins and the exhaust brake is awesome when towing.

Sorry you have had to deal with such a sh-t show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimmy N. and Lins

·
Registered
442 Posts
And it will allow you to learn all the problems other manufacturers run into as well, so a true learning experience all the way around

2018 with just shy of 50k miles on it, not a single issue. But we will really know once i run out of the factory powertrain warranty which will be soon
LOL.

If Ram can't fix his problems and Ram can't my problems, the problem isn't that other manufactures have problems. The problem is that RAM doesn't fix problems, whether under warranty or not, because they're not capable. Every other manufacture of vehicle we have owned has had issues that have been repaired. Ram is the first manufacture that has been a complete joke.

It took three dealership appointments and 3 visits over a 6 month period to get a safety recall done. None of the other problems that were on the list have been fixed yet, even though there are TSBs. So my conclusion from personal experience, which includes reading numerous problem posts such as this one, is that Ram sucks. Never again will I waste my time on anything from FCA.

·
Registered
821 Posts
LOL.

If Ram can't fix his problems and Ram can't my problems, the problem isn't that other manufactures have problems. The problem is that RAM doesn't fix problems, whether under warranty or not, because they're not capable. Every other manufacture of vehicle we have owned has had issues that have been repaired. Ram is the first manufacture that has been a complete joke.

It took three dealership appointments and 3 visits over a 6 month period to get a safety recall done. None of the other problems that were on the list have been fixed yet, even though there are TSBs. So my conclusion from personal experience, which includes reading numerous problem posts such as this one, is that Ram sucks. Never again will I waste my time on anything from FCA.
Isn't that the beauty of America, you can simply just go buy another truck whenever you want. Out of curiosity, what problems are you having? And no I have zero interest in trying to talk you out of buying a different brand.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Isn't that the beauty of America, you can simply just go buy another truck whenever you want. Out of curiosity, what problems are you having? And no I have zero interest in trying to talk you out of buying a different brand.
Here are a few of the problems:
AC doesn't work properly - sometimes I'm unable to get it to turn on and this only happens when the outside air temperature is less than 75 degrees. And there are other times when it doesn't matter. It just won't get cold enough (inside of the cab is in the 80's). Sometimes the heater doesn't work. At least I have heated seats which is nice when it's 17 degrees inside the cab. Radio randomly shuts off, which has been a problem since taking delivery. There is a loud "thunk" when I'm turning into a parking lot and the suspension is near full droop. Rust is showing thru the paint in one spot in front of the rear dually fender, in the location that has the factory clear-bra over it.
The transmission use to buck only when pulling a heavy load up a grade. It got really bad and this went on for months. After several dealership visits, they flashed the computer. Problem hasn't come back. Oddly enough, the fuel mileage, when not towing, jumped 3 miles per gallon. Interesting... I owned it for almost two years with fuel mileage that sucked because the transmission programming was f-'d up.

At this point, I could care less what Ram has done. They gave me three years of free oil changes, yada yada yada. F them. Having AC and a heater would have been a better solution. What good is a warranty and TSBs if the dealer won't do the work.

Also, one other advantage of living in the Bye-don era: I can tell everyone I know how much Ram sucks. And, I can buy a Ford.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Here are a few of the problems:
AC doesn't work properly - sometimes I'm unable to get it to turn on and this only happens when the outside air temperature is less than 75 degrees. And there are other times when it doesn't matter. It just won't get cold enough (inside of the cab is in the 80's). Sometimes the heater doesn't work. At least I have heated seats which is nice when it's 17 degrees inside the cab. Radio randomly shuts off, which has been a problem since taking delivery. There is a loud "thunk" when I'm turning into a parking lot and the suspension is near full droop. Rust is showing thru the paint in one spot in front of the rear dually fender, in the location that has the factory clear-bra over it.
The transmission use to buck only when pulling a heavy load up a grade. It got really bad and this went on for months. After several dealership visits, they flashed the computer. Problem hasn't come back. Oddly enough, the fuel mileage, when not towing, jumped 3 miles per gallon. Interesting... I owned it for almost two years with fuel mileage that sucked because the transmission programming was f-'d up.

At this point, I could care less what Ram has done. They gave me three years of free oil changes, yada yada yada. F them. Having AC and a heater would have been a better solution. What good is a warranty and TSBs if the dealer won't do the work.

Also, one other advantage of living in the Bye-don era: I can tell everyone I know how much Ram sucks. And, I can buy a Ford.
Dang bro, I hope your Ford isn't a pile of chit too. They tend to be less than perfect also. On the bright side you'll have a new truck and maybe lower blood pressure. Not sure what the current president has to do with buying a Ford or hating your Ram but it sounds like you have a solid plan. BTW a Toyota Hilux is more durable than all 3 of the US trucks. Pretty sad.

Reactions: gerlbaum
1 - 20 of 150 Posts