Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well freinds, I'm thinking I need to get out of my payment. Its not that bad ($420) but I have some tax issues that are coming up and the less monthly expense the better. I'v been looking around and it seems that I could get a 2nd gen 24v for about the equity I will have in my truck in a year($8k) with higher mileage. I have heard its better to buy a ctd with 180k on it than one with 90k on it because all the issues will have been fixed instead of about to happen. I found a 2000 3500 qd drw manual (dont know if its the 4500 or 5600) with new brakes and a new clutch with 170k on it. what do you think? Is it a good buy? I think it is. The cool thing is I could still have a CTD but NO payments!!!

Please give me your opinions on this and what you would do in my shoes. thanks to all:beer

·
Registered
565 Posts
That's why I own a 99 With 270,000 miles on it, Buying fuel is a truck payment. I bought mine with 215,000 miles, has run like a champ since day one.

Check out craigslist here in Denver, I've seen a few DRW 2nd gens for $9-12,000

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
how much for the 3rd gen and how many miles

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Boy it is nice to be out from under the bank. I would try and do it. Personally I wouldn't really care about the mileage. Gotta worry about wear items and the assortment of quirks on these trucks, but basically unless they BREAK, they run forever.

·
Registered
427 Posts
$400 payments? I wish I had that. :$::CRY:

I don't know your situation, but my vote would be to keep you 3rd gen and keep making those payments. You'll likely lose more on that new truck than you think. Especially the way the prices are dropping these days.

On a side note: my dealer called me the other day almost begging me to come in and buy a new truck. The reductions on these trucks is crazy these days. I don't want anymore payments and my truck will be paid for in under a year. Then I'm keepin' er.:hyper:

·
Registered
205 Posts
My father in law is in the used car biz, his motto is "Never trade down". You can find a deal on a 2g now but when you are ready to replace it you will have lost that equity you are talking about. Even if you hold on to it for five years, what would the trade in price be on the 2g vs. the 3g? Of course the 3g will be worth more. Don't try to tell me "if I save the car payment moneyI'll have $XXX.00 'cause you and I both know that you'll try to save for a couple months and then it'll get pissed away somewhere else (like mods on the 2g). My vote is to keep the 3g and then if you get in a real bind with no way out you still have the option of trading down if you have to.
Chris

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AHH! many good arguments. It is true that my 3rd gen is not worth as much as it should be right now. As far as wasting the money on other things....Im pretty discaplined on that stuff. I mean Iv owned a CTD for about a year and a half and have done n othing but free mods on it, instead the money goes to bills. I know the extra laying around would help out alot but, would it be enough to justify "trading down" like you say? Not sure. Well a good friend once told me "when your not sure what to do, hesitate. these things work themselves out".

Since Im not ready to make a move yet, I will take his advice on this and wait to see what happens. Thank you very much friends, you were very helpful:beer

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Well, something to consider is that if you keep it a little while some "pay" mods will pay for themselves rather quickly. Bigger exhaust and free flowing intake will easily pay for themselves in fuel efficiency gains. On mine, the injectors gave me appx 1.5 mpg, as well. I figured them to break even at 15-30K miles at OLD fuel prices. Just a thought! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts