Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

sell me on it

1440 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  2001 Hypertech Cummins
have a 03 powejoke thats got to go been checking all the brands both gas and diesel found a clean 07 5.9 besides the motor is the truck as bad as some say or not have been on the ford forums not much reponce to questions v10 is the only good things i hear about tell me all you can about the 07 ram 2500
thanks jim
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
cummins motor, awesome! The rest of the dodge truck, well we'll just leave it at that. Everyone has their opinions but this is mine. Putting my shields up now!

· Banned
5,760 Posts
The truck sells itself. Im not going to waste my time typing anything else.

· Registered
360 Posts
I have an 06 5.9 and at work I have an 07 F-550 powerstroke...

There is no comparison... fuel economy, comfort, cold weather starts, etc etc etc

What bad stuff have you heard on the for forums? Any specific issues that you are worried about?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well my 03 ford 6 lt nothing but problems from new, besides that sabalizer bushings,balljoints .still roams the road .now have antifreeze leak has to go be for lot of $
Always do my own work on other trucks but the ford 6lt is almost imposable to work on
looks like the cummins are easier

· Diesel Junkie
4,194 Posts
The Cummins needs no other explanation.....it's a Cummins.

The Dodge portion isn't nearly as bad as most of the Ford and Chevy guys will tell you it is. The Auto's are much improved , as is the front end strength.

· Registered
1,478 Posts
Get a v-10 and enjoy your 6mpg. My 06 5.9 has had 0 problems because I treat it like a truck and not like a ricer. I had an 06 f350 v-10. No problems, no power, 6 mpg. I'm an noob when it comes to working on a diesel and I'm convinced there's nothing I wouldn't be able to do to my truck by myself.

· Registered
360 Posts
From my experience in the 3/4 and 1 tons: (owning a dodge), Driving a ford at work, and I used to work at a chev dealership)
The Fords have decent bodies and quiet interiors. Unfortunately thats all that I can say good about them. The engines have very poor economy, poor reliability, and are brutal to start in the cold.

The Chevs are pretty nice inside, the duramax engines are pretty good (01-04s injectors die constantly and take 8+ hours to replace), the LBZ duramax's are deadly for power, but don't have the reliability or efficiency of the 5.9 cummins. The allison 6 speed is a pretty sweet trans though.

Chev also has independant front suspension, which makes city driving very comfortable, due to less body roll, but makes the front end weak for offroading. Once you install larger than stock tires, you can expect to break cv shafts/joints on a regular basis if you are into any mud/offroad scenarios at all. Chev also has weak transfer cases, if you are 4x4 with weight in the box and you try to turn... you have a good chance of ahving your Tcase chain skip and or break. Seen that one a lot. Hence 90% of welding trucks being dodge.

Dodge pickups seem to be decent all around, interiors are decent quality, slightly less so than chevs in my opinion. Both my 06 and my fathers 07 have the same wind whistle on the driver side front door... Good diffs and axles, and the 48RE trans works ok as long as you don't add any power, but its seems once you do, you need to upgrade it immediately. My father's 2nd transmission is starting to go ay 75000 kms in his, with intake, exhaust and a tuner. Then there's the cummins. One of the best diesel engines ever made... an I6 instead ov a V8 has the obvious advantage of an extra main bearing and the pistons all travel along the same axis reducing vibrational losses.

Just my 2c.

Reactions: ssteve and schoust

· Registered
1,478 Posts
The other thing I noticed about the fords (I had 2 06 f350's, 1 PSD and one v-10) is the rear differential doesn't lock. I could put one of the rear tires up against an average curb and I had no chance of climbing it. It was pretty pathetic. I expected the same thing from the Dodge but was pleasantly surprised when I could crawl up any curb or obstruction with the same 17" BFG's that I had on both Fords. I jump a lot of curbs fixing fire hydrants so that's a big deal to me. On the other hand the PSD seems to be better in muddy and sandy conditions than the Dodge is. I'm not sure why that is but it was almost impossible to get my Ford stuck. I've buried the Ford in mud with 2000 pounds in the bed and motored right out, with the Dodge I've only been stuck once but have had some harrowing escapes and a lot of close calls. I'm definitely not as confident with the Dodge in mud and sand. Maybe a heavier engine throws the weight balance off?

· Registered
68 Posts
I love my dodge, it gets about 24 mpg on the freeway empty, and when I tow a 16,000 pound fifth wheel it gets 12-14 mpg. The cummins is the best of the big three, because it is a real diesel engine. The ford and chevys are v-8's that were converted to diesel. The cummins is an engine that is a true six cylinder diesel engine. The cummins is a medium duty truck engine in a light duty truck, I read somewhere that in the proper truck, the cummins can pull 60,000 pounds. Since it is a real diesel, it gets its 610 foot pounds of torque at only 1400 rpm, the ford and chevy's are in the high 2000 rpm range I think. So in conclusion, pulls better, while getting better fuel economy, and it is the most reliable.

· Registered
91 Posts
Now that I've owned my Dodge (06) for exactly one year I might be able to add fuel to the fire.

Im 58 years old and I've had some type of pickup truck since high school. At first it was Chevy and GMC. Owned three or four while building houses in the late 70s. Not bad vehicles, but I had nothing to compare to.

The late 80s trucks were terrible. Engines pinging all the time. Transmission slipping. Power options always breaking. Constant issues.

In the early 90s I switched to Ford. Had a couple F150 and one F250. In my opinion, terrible vehicles. Lots of body rust and suspension rust. The F250 basically fell apart and I had to fabricate new spring perches for the rear. All the steel brake lines rotted out and the transmission was rebuilt twice. Terrible front end issues that could never be resolved. Impossible to align.

I went back to GMC and although the truck had gotten better, there were still issues with engine drivability and power accessory failures. Brake pads and rotors at every 40K. Steering boxes, AC units, etc.......

I decided I wanted a diesel and folks always said, "when you by a Dodge you get a great motor wrapped in a mediocre truck".............I disagree. This Dodge I have is the best pickup I've ever owned. 80K miles and not a squeek or a rattle. Not one thing has broken or given me a problem. Nothing! I don't baby my trucks and the Dodge just hands it back to me. The solid front axle is great in the off road situations and the steering is extremely positive (No FORD WANDER). And talk about "get up and go!" This thing flies! I constantly have to use cruise control because the truck is so smooth I'll be cruising at 90mph and not even realize it. As a tow vehicle it can't be beat. Even my big block GMS gas trucks would be gear hunting with even moderate loads up relatively moderate hills. This Cummins pulls like the Kennedy's in Massachusetts! A 10K trailer is nothing for this engine transmission combination.
When I went looking for a Dodge I could have bought new, but I was convinced the 06 had the best of the engine (pre particulate stuff) and the latest and greatest transmission (Mercedes was involved in 06), So I found a real cherry used 06 and since I bought it last summer at the height of the diesel fuel prices, I stole it!
Hope this helps with your decision.

· Registered
36 Posts
When I went looking for a truck I wanted a Cummins just so happens it was hook to a dodge reminds me of my X wife good in the sack but the devil to put up with so with that being said when I get rid of this one it want be anther dodge even it it come with J LO
3500 drw

· Registered
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega-Cab Cummins
2,790 Posts
Holy thread revival!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.