Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello CF

Trying to decrease coolant and EGT temperatures on the 2005 3500 in signature. Truck can easily reach 215+ degrees F in coolant temperature and 1250 degrees F in EGTs. Most pulls begin at 4600’ and can go over 10,000’ elevations. Ambient temperatures can range from 30s to triple digits.

** Evolution has been set on “Tow” and maintaining the above temps often requires decreasing speeds into the 25-40 mph range and cutting the A/C. On one mtn pass in June, I lost momentum, and wasn’t able to get above 10 mph. **

** Truck has a G56 **

What successes have you had with larger radiators, different injectors, intercooler upgrades, turbo upgrades, etc? Other options without making the jump to twins?

Searched and didn’t see a recent discussion or one directly related to towing at elevation.

Thanks

7/30/2020 update:
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply at this point. A few points of clarification have been inserted into the original post in an effort to make it easier to receive good feedback.
Reset alarms to 220 F for ECT and 1400 F after reset of program to “Stock.”

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Nothing is wrong with either temp honestly.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I think custom tuning would help the most, high altitude is a different environment.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Reactions: White2005

·
Registered
601 Posts
As said above. But make sure you have adequate air flow and clean radiator. Wouldn’t hurt to do a coolant flush and thermostat change either.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses so far.

Water pump and thermostat are new as of 12/8/19, when the coolant bypass was installed. Coolant wasn’t flushed at that time in an attempt to see if the new parts helped. Then I started contemplating whether to slap a larger radiator in and flush at that point...

Further information- there are times when maintaining the temps in a safe range limits traveling speed to 25 MPH or less... Other times, it may be as high as 40 MPH

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
Like said, those temps are not out of line for uphill driving. You could drive for hours at those temps and not cause any damage.
When your temps for ECT reach 230º+ or EGT 1550º+ then be concerned.
I'm sure there are many others who slow down to keep temps in check.

EDIT:
EGT temps of 1250º are the max for 2003-early 2004 engines to be running for long periods of time.
For 2004.5 and up, 1450º is the max to be running for long periods of time.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
When I tow, I try to hit EGTs temps that high. It's good run EGTs that high every now and then. It will burn off any build up in your cylinder

2,640 Posts
Hello CF

Trying to decrease coolant and EGT temperatures on the 2005 3500 in signature. Truck can easily reach 215+ degrees F in coolant temperature and 1250 degrees F in EGTs. Most pulls begin at 4600’ and can go over 10,000’ elevations. Ambient temperatures can range from 30s to triple digits.

What successes have you had with larger radiators, different injectors, intercooler upgrades, turbo upgrades, etc? Other options without making the jump to twins?

Searched and didn’t see a recent discussion or one directly

Thanks

How heavy are you hauling or towing?

Your signature mentions Edge CS Evolution. Is this an interceptor module like the Edge Juice or is that a programmer?
Whatever it is, remove it/Set the ECM back to stock.
Any other engine mods? Stock 2005 turbo?

1250 EGT's are nothing but I suspect you can push the EGT's much higher.
Is your EGT probe installed pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How heavy are you hauling or towing?

Your signature mentions Edge CS Evolution. Is this an interceptor module like the Edge Juice or is that a programmer?
Whatever it is, remove it/Set the ECM back to stock.
Any other engine mods? Stock 2005 turbo?

1250 EGT's are nothing but I suspect you can push the EGT's much higher.
Is your EGT probe installed pre-turbo in the exhaust manifold?
Towing about 14,000#.
EDGE lists the Evolution as a programmer. Installed it in summer of 2013. Haven’t really noticed additional power. Engine is stock, so is turbo.

I believe that I could melt the pyrometer, and whatever else, if I didn’t back out of it. 😁Probe is installed pre-turbo on the 4-5-6 side of the collector.

Will swap it back to factory settings and see if temps decrease any...

Reactions: StealthDiesel

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Suggestions for tuners with solid reputations for “tow” tunes - at elevation?

2,640 Posts
I'm towing much less than you all summer in the B.C. mountains (10k lb 5th wheel) but I have to turn down my Smarty programmer when towing.

EGT's, with my towing twins, aren't my issue.
When towing up a mountain, my engine gets hot, will quickly go to 220F which makes me uncomfortable. 190F stock thermostat.

The stock 3rd Gen radiator is quite big but, IMO, still not adequate to tow 10k lbs up a mountain in the summer with a modified engine.

Only recently has there been a HD aftermarket radiator for the 3rd Gens:

Here is a recent thread on it. It's not perfect and not many reviews on it, but it's on my shopping list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would agree that 215 degrees at your elevation is not bad.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
Are you positive that the fan clutch is operating properly?

Reactions: GRUNT 11B

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you positive that the fan clutch is operating properly?
I think so. It sure roars at times... Suggestions on how to verify?

Apples to oranges, but I did have lower coolant temps than a deleted 6.4 P/S - and my trailer was almost twice as heavy... Traveling to Montana and back in June.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
If you're hearing it, it's kicking on. They kick on at 217° coolant temp.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I live at 9k ft in Colorado. I have hauled a fair bit with my truck from time to time. I have a larger turbo, 50hp injectors, cai, and 5" exhaust. Im using hp tuners for the tuning. There's a fair bit you can do to help on the tuning for elevation. Not to mention you can change up fan speed and engagement to help with cooling. That said, going over passes, i am at around 1100 to 1250 on egts when hauling my truck camper and motos. Prior to hp tuners, i was between 1200 and 1350 egts. With stock injectors, i would not break 1100 egts and ran a lot cleaner. Just some things to think about. The larger turbo helps in high rpm ranges, but is terrible when in low rpm and lugging.

As for ect. Mine would fluctuate a fair bit prior to the new head gasket, thermostat, and flush.

I did not read through all of this, but a good intake may help. We need all the air we can get up here. I notice i gain boost when opening up my cai to pull from front and fender. Better boost may help cool your egts. Are you getting good boost numbers? Checked for boost leaks?

High altitude is tough with diesel tuning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello CF

Searched and didn’t see a recent discussion or one directly

Thanks
If you still have the OEM electric fan clutch on your 2005 3500, I would make sure that it is still fully functional. I have a 2003 3500 dually and pulled a 13K fifth wheel cross country last summer never having any cooling issues. Then I towed my trailer up Teton Pass out of Jackson WY and overheated a third of the way up the pass. Luckily I got it shut down quickly and I didn't blow a head gasket. Found out the next day that my fan clutch was toast. I replaced it and now my truck rarely gets over 205 and then the fan kicks in and pulls it down to the low 190's. Also, when you are towing in stop and go traffic you should hear your fan activate and see your coolant temp decrease as the fan engages. Before I replaced my fan clutch my temp would climb at traffic lights only decrease as I got air flowing through the radiator at speed. I think this part gets frequently overlooked when diagnosing cooling problems.

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
Have you done a thorough cleaning of the fins of the radiator, inter-cooler, and the AC condenser?
They can get clogged up enough to cause issues.
Also, the AC condenser fins can be crushed/folded-over.

1,049 Posts
Keep in mind when you tune a truck the timing is advanced so your target egts need to be lower then stock. If 1450 is ok on my 04.5 stock, id prob shoot for 1300 with tuning.
You are keeping more heat in-clyinder, better efficiency but can damage the pistons if you sustain hi egt .
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts