Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to cummins so sorry I’m going to sound stupid. I’m trying to build my stock second gen other then a 50hp chip and a aftermarket air intake and exhaust system, to be able to produce 450-500 hp without any headstuds or anything, I know any more then that I’ll need headstuds, I’ve been having trouble starting the truck up when it’s warmed up, I think that’s the vp, is there one vp44 or are there other vps with other ratings or anything that pushes more? I’m also ordering a 150gph lift pump but I don’t really know the difference in the locations of the stock lift pump or one that hooks right up to the fuel tank. I’m getting a edge juice with attitude and maybe 150hp injectors? I know I’m starting to drag on but is there anything else I should do?

·
Registered
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 5 Speed 4x4
87 Posts
^^^ what he said. Should be your main focus (other then lift pump) before even considering 150hp injectors, edge juice, etc. Some get away with making power on a stock auto for a little while but not many. Stock SO VP will provide you with more than enough fuel just get a good lift pump to protect it. Focus your funds on those things first, then consider making power.
In reverse order and you may be upset you now have to shell out $2-5k for a built auto...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ what he said. Should be your main focus (other then lift pump) before even considering 150hp injectors, edge juice, etc. Some get away with making power on a stock auto for a little while but not many. Stock SO VP will provide you with more than enough fuel just get a good lift pump to protect it. Focus your funds on those things first, then consider making power.
In reverse order and you may be upset you now have to shell out $2-5k for a built auto...
Yeah I just forgot to mention It’s got rebuilt a couple years ago and got a shift kit and a couple other things in there, I’m going to take it to a shop soon to build it up even more and then I’ll feel better about putting the tuner a few levels higher. As for the injection pump just go a vp44? Idk if they have different ratings or not

·
Registered
87 Posts
A standard output injection pump is all you need for what you've mentioned your goals are. There are bigger built VP44s offered by a couple different companies that will flow higher rates of fuel but at a larger price. If your goal is 500hp then just stick with a stock SO pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A standard output injection pump is all you need for what you've mentioned your goals are. There are bigger built VP44s offered by a couple different companies that will flow higher rates of fuel but at a larger price. If your goal is 500hp then just stick with a stock SO pump.
For 500hp, what size turbo should I go with if I even need one? It’s got a little bit of play on it now but not bad. I just want to get this all right the first time so I don’t have to spend more money later to fix something

·
Registered
87 Posts
For 500hp, what size turbo should I go with if I even need one? It’s got a little bit of play on it now but not bad. I just want to get this all right the first time so I don’t have to spend more money later to fix something
Really just depends. Run your stock one until you have supporting mods done. As far as you wanting an edge juice and 150hp sticks, s362 would be my suggestion but everyone and every truck reacts differently.

You are definitely still going to have to spend money later to fix things if you are wanting to push into 500 range. Headgaskets still fail, input and ouput shafts still fail, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Adrenaline for the adjustability
150HP injectors
62mm SXE for turbo
100GPH lift pump (better to spend the $25 and go to 150GPH)
Trans
Head studs
= about 500-550HP
I wasn’t planning on spending all that money for headstuds, would it be the biggest problem in the world i don’t get them if I’m not always ripping the truck everywhere?

·
Vendor
8,459 Posts
Definitely recommend head studs if you are going over 450HP. With the adrenaline you can just keep from going to the highest power levels (think power level 6 instead of 10) and you should be good to go without head studs. You can install one at a time with the head still on when you are ready to go up in power. You may be just fine, but the risk of blowing a head gasket increases with the extra power and avoid radical timing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts