Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Long time lurker here and finally have a question I couldn't answer through the search engine.

My '02 was stolen out of my driveway a few months back and I'm just getting around to replacing it. Specifically I am looking at an '06 Mega Cab. My question is this: The truck I am considering only has 29k miles on the clock. However, the outside edge of the seat foam on the drivers side is already broken down underneath the upholstery. Is this normal? The carfax report comes back clean. It just seems odd that the foam would have degraded that far in only 29k miles.

My '02 had 75k and the seats looked brand new. Did Dodge run some bad foam in '06?

Thanks for any input.

Gib

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
I think the seats in that year sucked. I'm sure some other guys will jump in, but I seem to recall posts about how to make them comfortable.

·
ICC Advertising Director
930 Posts
If the previous owner slid in and out of the truck the seat edge being broken down is to be expected. When I bought mine with 37k on the clock it not only has brken down but has a ducttape and foam patch over it. The 06+ seat design sucks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah it's completely normal, I saw it in a ton of 06 trucks, mine is still good thankfully but I am being overly cautious and lifting my a$$ everytime I get out of the truck

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Mine finally broke down around 48k miles. I had a local guy fix it up. He took the seat completely apart, shaped a new piece of foam for it, then he sanded and put some rubber edging around the metal to help it from happening again.

He said that dodge had a poor design, and sharp metal underneath thin foam and especially if you have a lifted truck most people tend to slide out and break the foam down fast. I paid $120 for him to fix mine last week and it's been well worth it. It's better now than it ever was.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello All,

Long time lurker here and finally have a question I couldn't answer through the search engine.

My '02 was stolen out of my driveway a few months back and I'm just getting around to replacing it. Specifically I am looking at an '06 Mega Cab. My question is this: The truck I am considering only has 29k miles on the clock. However, the outside edge of the seat foam on the drivers side is already broken down underneath the upholstery. Is this normal? The carfax report comes back clean. It just seems odd that the foam would have degraded that far in only 29k miles.

My '02 had 75k and the seats looked brand new. Did Dodge run some bad foam in '06?

Thanks for any input.

Gib
THEY SUCK!!! Dealership has replaced mine twice. If it happens again, im swapping seats for a 04. The one's in my 04 were awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas. That's what I needed to know. They must have changed things for 2008 because the seats in my wifes Mega are comfortable and still look like new after 25k miles. I'll have to work something out if I end up with the '06.

Gib

·
Heck if I know
3,762 Posts
Oh yeah ram seats suck the big one. I got a new foam insert from the dealership there less then $100 for an 06

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I have the same problem with my seat. Haven't had time to get it fixed yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same here . My 98's and 95's were alot better then these in my 06

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
My 07 ripped at about 40k, just out of warranty. A weld on the seat frame even ripped a dime-sized hole in my seat cover. Pissed me right off.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I noticed mine was degrading a while ago... always try to be careful but I end up sliding out too often. I can tell the foam is cut through already and will soon be after teh covers. I think these are the worst seats i've ever sat in. I'm an average size and weight yet my sinks through the foam and the internal structure of the seat puts just the right pressure on my leg/ to cause a decent amount of pain. When i get the time i'll tear this POS apart and fix it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts