Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both sides, all at once this happened.
Jumped in the truck and neither side will pull out!
Locked in the stowed position.
I had no idea these were electrically actuated but must be they are being both have the same problem.
Is this another common problem with 2nd generations?
What is your guess as to what to do?
Truck starts, runs fine, no codes.
Seat belt idiot light is on of course being I cannot use them.
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
18,886 Posts
Not common but not unheard of. Do not know solution. Try disconnecting the batteries leave the key on an hour and reconnect. Check any related fuses at either fuse box.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
My two cents:
It’s not electronic. They’re built with a mechanical tension lock so they get tight and lock in the event of a crash. Something in the ratcheting mechanisms has failed and your belts think you’ve been in a crash.
Most vehicles before CAN-BUS integration just had a continuity switch in the latch. Connected seat belt disconnects circuit to illuminate the warning light on the dash. Locked belts are how we can tell if a driver was properly restrained in a crash (I work for a coroner’s office). Locked slack and cut, driver was probably belted. Locked against the B-pillar or the back of the seat, driver was unrestrained or not properly belted (shoulder belt behind back or something).

I don’t know that belt tensioners are a serviceable item, but if they’re already broken it’s not gonna hurt to try disassembling them. Not like they’re gonna break worse.

As said above tho, you could try any number of things to get the tensioner to let go. Slack the adjuster and see if she’ll give any, unbolt the tensioner end and see if that’ll reset the mechanism (it likely will), etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my research they are electric- with a gravity switch under the center seat.
There are all sorts of threads on how to hack this problem on UTUBE when this problem occurs.
The fact that both seats did it at the same time is pretty convincing too.
It is just another dodge congenital birth defect to get used to.
I am still working on it and about to add voltage to the wires going to the relay in the seats and chack for voltage going to them
I am pretty sure i know the answer -None.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts