Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you do not use a screen for monitoring on your truck with weight loss? I'm trying to decide if it's something I need or should have when I get ready to do some mods on my truck.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
How many of you do not use a screen for monitoring on your truck with weight loss? I'm trying to decide if it's something I need or should have when I get ready to do some mods on my truck.
I do but do I "need" it? Probably not but it's fun to look at once in a while. I will say it can be a great troubleshooting tool if you are having an issue but for daily driving most of the important stuff (temps) can be seen on you dash with the exception of EGT's.

If you run Ezlynk I think that offers the most PIDs to monitor, a CTS is nice but I think it's pretty basic and lacks some of the things the Ezlynk can see?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm trying to debate if the price difference from running a screen is worth the cost. Truck is my daily driver and tow every once in a while.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I ran a CTS2 on my 2012 2500 that was bone stock. I liked it, but I'm kind of a nerd. Best feature I liked seeing on my stock truck was knowing when it was in regen.

I run a CTS3 on my 2011 2500 with weight loss and enjoy it a lot. No matter what truck I had, it's nice to see parameters even if they aren't perfect.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'm running a CTS 3 and am very happy with the amount of sensors you can monitor with it as well as the ability to set different parameters with warning and alarm levels.

IMO, even if you're rig is factory it pays to be able to monitor more especially if you tow things. Example, being able to see the trans temp on the dash is nice. Being able to see things like your line pressure, fuel rail pressure etc. is nicer. It can help ID problems early before an all out failure happens.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Meh - if you are just running a tow tune with a trailer hooked up its really not necessary - 'cool' yes, but not necessary - if you are running 200hp tune and looking to break your trans maybe something to keep an eye on - btw, the 'other forum' is much better for weight loss discussion

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I use the BD 40428. Do I need it? No but its a handy code reader and I can switch tunes on the fly.

A couple of my buddies have their computers flashed and when they ran I to issues, they had to commute to a shop to get it fixed. I can load or update tunes my self with the monitor.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Run a CTS 2 on 2012 and it offers a lot of data that could indicate trends.
I'm a EGT geek and fly by those numbers. Not sure where Cummins defuels, but it's hotter than I want. I tow in 6 locked until forced out.
Common load is about 14k. Offers tran temps, rail, and a big coolant monitor. Easy to see while driving. I like it.
Truck panels will display these things, but not all on one easy to see page at eye level.
My dash displays the inane fuel mileage data, which is entertaining....or not, when loaded.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
343 Posts
my MM3 has been nice & offers a lot more flexibility for monitoring than i ever realistically use.
sometimes, i just take it down & throw it in the console.

it is nice, though, to monitor rail pressure & have it beep at me if i'm loading it up close to where i noticed the stock clutch starts slipping.

·
Registered
473 Posts
my MM3 has been nice & offers a lot more flexibility for monitoring than i ever realistically use.
sometimes, i just take it down & throw it in the console.

it is nice, though, to monitor rail pressure & have it beep at me if i'm loading it up close to where i noticed the stock clutch starts slipping.
What are your EGTs when making that clutch slip? Curious.
I stay below 1300. Am I too conservative?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
343 Posts
no clue. i ain't got a pyrometer (...yet - will install with the compound kit in a couple weeks), but i doubt EGTs have anything to do with the stock clutch slipping; that happens cold or hot whenever i goose it enough to make more than ~750tq.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts