Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my way into work today I heard this horrible noise when my exhaust brake activates.:shock::confused013: Something between a squirrel running across metal, fingers across the chalk board...something like that. It does not do it when the turbo spools up, just when braking.

The only thing that I have done to the truck lately is put in the EGT probe. We lowered the turbo to do this to prevent any filings from getting into the turbo so I can't see how that has anything to do with it but thought I would mention it. Thanks for your help.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
when you "lowered the turbo" did you replace the gasket for the turbo to manifold interface? They are one time use only gaskets so you should have replaced it. My guess would be a drive pressure leak brought on by the application of the exhaust brake. I have had several customers with EGR cooler delete gaskets leaking prior to the install of my kit reporting similar noise.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,060 Posts
when you "lowered the turbo" did you replace the gasket for the turbo to manifold interface? They are one time use only gaskets so you should have replaced it. My guess would be a drive pressure leak brought on by the application of the exhaust brake. I have had several customers with EGR cooler delete gaskets leaking prior to the install of my kit reporting similar noise.
I'd say Shibby is right on. I have heard this same noise many times. You may also check and see if its leaking at the probe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We didn't change the gasket because we couldn't get the turbo low enough:banghead:

The plan was to change it out (had the new one waiting in the wings)

Assuming you are right (I went out and drove it again, and the sound could definitly be described as air moving) DOES IT POSE A THREAT TO MY TRUCK!:confused013:

Thanks again:thumbsup:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
nope, but your EGT's could be slightly higher because of the loss in drive pressure to spin the compressor side. Make sure it isn't leaking too bad it could melt that heat shield on the side of the motor or possibly melt some of those other rubber lines down there depending on what side it is leaking from.

68005334-AA chrysler part number ~9-12 bucks
3977338 cummins part number ~5-7 bucks

if you needed part numbers

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the part...HOW DO I GET THE TURBO DOWN FAR ENOUGH:confused013::confused013::confused013:

We removed the 4 bolts, removed the coolant lines, removed the exhaust connection, bent the heat shield out of the way, but couldn't get it down far enough to clear the bolts.

I am :buttkick:now!

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I think the easiest way to do it is to remove the down pipe that way it can be tipped away from the flange to do it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the easiest way to do it is to remove the down pipe that way it can be tipped away from the flange to do it.
The down pipe was removed (well at least disconnected). It looked like it was unable to move lower because of a corrugated (looking) metal line on the underside of the turbo (passenger). I am thinking that was a oil line, so I don't want to remove that.

was I missing something:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
yeah, that is the oil return/drain line (i was under the impression you had disconnected that) that slips into the block down at the bottom you may have some success in pulling the tube out at that interface.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, that is the oil return/drain line (i was under the impression you had disconnected that) that slips into the block down at the bottom you may have some success in pulling the tube out at that interface.
When disconnecting that, how much oil should I expect to come out?

Are you saying I HAVE to disconnect that to get the turbo out (or at least that is the best/easiest way)?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
Yeah, you don't want to kink smash or otherwise restrict the flow of oil going through there. I think that you do have to remove that to avoid smashing it when you try disconnect it from the manifold. there should be minimal oil coming out of it <teaspoon as long as you don't have your engine running, that would be a feat all in itself though with the turbo off and all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts