Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i turn off my truck it sometimes makes a sqwelch or screeching noise... I thought it was coming from the turbo and ive heard of other people having there truck do the same thing.. is it bad?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
If it sounds like some belt squeak or a crip then it is just a belt slip as you shut the truck off. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys thats reassuring :thumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
ok thanks guys thats reassuring :thumbsup
Its the belt. Mine did that occasionaly when I first bought it, and when it started chirping everytime i shut her off, I put in the new belt and no more chirping!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I noticed that if I let it idle for a minute before I shet er' down it wont do it.

·
3rd Gen Guy
2,095 Posts
I noticed that if I let it idle for a minute before I shet er' down it wont do it.
same here.. i just let it sit and cool down for like 20 sec or so and it wont do it... i guess it depends on how hot it got on the way there! :peelout

·
Registered
199 Posts
Chirp. Normal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my truck brand-new and it chirped like that until it got about 45,000 miles on it. I`ve got over 90K now it the belt still looks new, but no longer chirps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its the belt. Mine did that occasionaly when I first bought it, and when it started chirping everytime i shut her off, I put in the new belt and no more chirping!

Same here. I put up with it for about a month before i fixed it, really irritating.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
31,000 mi and faithfully chirping away, theres a TSB for it if its bothering you

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
figured now that i brought it up i should include info:

TSB 09-004-06
Accessory Drive Belt Chirp At Shut Down

Date: March 31, 2006

Models: 2003 -2006 (DH/D1) Ram Truck (Diesel)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Diesel Engine, sale code ETH.

Overview:
This bulletin involves installing an overrunning clutch pulley on the generator.

Symptom/Condition:
A chirping sound maybe heard coming from the accessory drive belt when the engine is
shut down.

Diagnosis:
If a customer indicates that the condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts Required: Qty. Part No. Description
1 05183490AA Overrunning Clutch Pulley

Special Tools/Equipment Required:

8823 Generator Shaft Holder

Repair Procedure: 1. Disconnect and isolate both negative battery cables.
2. Remove the air cleaner box.
3. Loosen the accessory drive belt and disengage it from the generator.
4. Remove the generator.
5. Remove the drive pulley from the generator.
6. Install the new drive pulley, p/n 05183490AA, using toll number 8823 to hold the
generator shaft. Tighten the nut to 80 Nm (60 ft. lbs.)
7. Install the generator. Tighten the bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.)
8. Install the accessory drive belt.
9. Install the air cleaner box.
10. Connect the negative battery cables.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

Time Allowance:

Labor Operation No: Description Amount
08-05-01-98 Install Overrunning Clutch Pulley 0.5 Hrs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts