Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, school me please!! I threw a code, (P2146 front bank of injectors). I checked ohm's on all three front ones. 2nd one is bad. Here's my question since I have heard different things. Since it failed electrically, I have been told I would be okay with just throwing one in there. I was told that if it failed mechanically, then I would definitely need to replace all 6. Any input on this or suggestions? Truck has 140k on it, run a small tune. Other than that truck is stock. (only ran the tune the last 30k miles) Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
Replacement of the other 5 does not follow mileage or electical failure. Replacement is determined by physical condition.

You are on the break point of good\bad at that mileage, but, there are so many other factors it is hard to tell without testing.

Put one in and go is the general solution wiht your symptoms and mileage. If you want to, care to, and can afford the down time get them all tested and then make a decision.

Reactions: cde21

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I'm torn. I hear alot of folks stating they have a lifespan of about where I'm sitting, although I have numerous friends with 200+ and no problems. Do you know how much do shops normally charge to test them all? I don't really want to add another 3 or 400 to the 2k+ price I'm facing! haha

·
Registered
601 Posts
i look at it like this, if u send em in for testin ($$$) only 2 outcomes: they ng and now pay more $$$ for all new, or they test good, re-install em but how much life is left in them??? could crap out 2 minutes after re-install, theres just no way to be certian...

got 2 choices, r&r the one inj save some cash and see how it goes, or replace all of em...

(gotta spend $400 either for testin or 1 new inj),
i would do just the one (might get lucky and last long time), then when any others go bad, get a full set of new (not remans)

Reactions: cde21

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I may just do the one. Anyone else have any experiences or suggestions please chime in still!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I normally say do them all, especially with that many miles, but I'd just replace the one with a Bosch reman. When it starts showing signs of injectors heading south, just replace all 6 with NEW. I'm usually against testing, cause 9 times out of 10 you can tell when they start to go and if you just bite the bullet it will cost less than testing then replacing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I normally say do them all, especially with that many miles, but I'd just replace the one with a Bosch reman. When it starts showing signs of injectors heading south, just replace all 6 with NEW. I'm usually against testing, cause 9 times out of 10 you can tell when they start to go and if you just bite the bullet it will cost less than testing then replacing.
By new, do you mean "reman'd by Bosh" new or new as in Brand New?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
he means new as in genuine bosch injector like factory ones. not a reman like most "new" ones are
Right, this is why I was curious. The term "used and new" are used interchangeably I've found while looking for injectors!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buy a new one. People put remans in and they sometimes fail a month later.

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
By new, do you mean "reman'd by Bosh" new or new as in Brand New?
He means a Bosch reman, not new. You already have worn injectors, no use spending the big $$ for a totally new one when a reman will probably work for the time period until you need all new.

New means new, there is no such thing as new reman. Bosch does not label that way. There are numbers that denote reman and new. There ar eplenty of NEW Bosch CR injectors available if you want to pony up the $$.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He means a Bosch reman, not new. You already have worn injectors, no use spending the big $$ for a totally new one when a reman will probably work for the time period until you need all new.

New means new, there is no such thing as new reman. Bosch does not label that way. There are numbers that denote reman and new. There ar eplenty of NEW Bosch CR injectors available if you want to pony up the $$.
right but the remans I have found are only 50 bucks less than the "new" ones!? That's why i've been confused. They are all ridiculously expensive, but why would anyone buy remans if its only 50 bucks different?

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
right but the remans I have found are only 50 bucks less than the "new" ones!? That's why i've been confused. They are all ridiculously expensive, but why would anyone buy remans if its only 50 bucks different?
My guess those advertised as new are not. More like $80-90 difference between a genuine Bosch reman and a genuine Bosch new in most places.

Even at that, it is hard to justify the cost difference from new to reman.

PM jkidd with DAP and get some prices, they move a lot of them.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
With 140k, $300 to check them is chump change compared to a ~$5k+/- rebuild...

My opinion. I've had two failures due to injectors, one (03) had a hard start so it got them replaced under warranty, and less than 200 miles later it was dead with two melted pistons.

My 07 I'm guessing cracked injectors, and had zero warning.

The 07 I know got remans, and under probably 5k miles later it showed warning signs of failing injectors. I don't recall if the 03 got new or remans, but it hasn't really shown symptoms. But its injectors came from a Dodge dealer, where the 07's came from Cummins.

Short story, remans suck. Don't be cheap with your injectors, pony up and have them checked. And replaced with new if needed. Your engine and wallet will thank you.

Although, I will say your issue seems isolated. But the others are just as worn as any other with 140k on them...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My opinion. I've had two failures due to injectors, one (03) had a hard start so it got them replaced under warranty, and less than 200 miles later it was dead with two melted pistons.

The 07 I know got remans, and under probably 5k miles later it showed warning signs of failing injectors. I don't recall if the 03 got new or remans, but it hasn't really shown symptoms. But its injectors came from a Dodge dealer, where the 07's came from Cummins.

Short story, remans suck. Don't be cheap with your injectors, pony up and have them checked. And replaced with new if needed. Your engine and wallet will thank you.

Although, I will say your issue seems isolated. But the others are just as worn as any other with 140k on them...
In my opinion though, it's not worth 300 to get them checked because like you said i have 140K on her. It would be stupid to add 300 to the 1800 on injectors I would spend, because like "kummin" said, i'll either find out they're good and wait till they pop or find out they're bad and add 300 to my bill. That's why i asked everyone's opinion on replacing all or just one. I'm leaning towards just one currently, just to see how much life I can get out of all of them. Then when the next one goes, replace them all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Oh and I'm a cowboys fan, but Go Denver! Hope Peyton finally gets one!

·
Premium Member
15,609 Posts
my code reader says # 3 injector is open do you think it is the injector or wiring or computer any thoughts
Pull the wires and ohm the injector to see what it says. Do it warm as they will show good cold and bad warm.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
In my opinion though, it's not worth 300 to get them checked because like you said i have 140K on her. It would be stupid to add 300 to the 1800 on injectors I would spend, because like "kummin" said, i'll either find out they're good and wait till they pop or find out they're bad and add 300 to my bill. That's why i asked everyone's opinion on replacing all or just one. I'm leaning towards just one currently, just to see how much life I can get out of all of them. Then when the next one goes, replace them all.
The point I'm making, is they don't always show signs of failure. An injector can go at any time and pop a piston in short order, like 5 miles short order. And you'll have no clue they are bad unless you test them, or until you're sitting on the side of the road and looking at an engine rebuild.

Good luck man, you may be just fine replacing the one, it may very well be a simple solenoid. It's the unknown I don't like.....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts