Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I plan on doing a DPF delete just with the sims and the DP fooler. No tuner or programmer for me at this time. I understand and I need to purchase a cheap scan tool to clear the codes that will come up at times, etc. There are many scan tools in the market, but I am unsure which one will be compatible with our trucks. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something I can use to read/clear codes when I do the delete.

My truck is currently at the dealer getting a new DPF installed and they are cleaning the turbo. I will like to buy a smarty, but $$ is an issue now. Thanks.

· Registered
45 Posts
Bump for info.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have an edge insight with the EGT sensor and I like it so far, it's small and I can tuck it away on the dash. I had to get edge to send me the original programming for it, when I did the update on the insight it started shutting itself off after a few minutes of use, I put the original software back in and it works great now. As for price, I haven't compared them but from what I paid I doubt the insight is much cheaper. I have a 2008 3500, no deletes yet but as soon as the engine warranty runs out my DPF and EGR will be gone, I can't wait.

· Registered
91 Posts
Gents,

I plan on doing a DPF delete just with the sims and the DP fooler. No tuner or programmer for me at this time. I understand and I need to purchase a cheap scan tool to clear the codes that will come up at times, etc. There are many scan tools in the market, but I am unsure which one will be compatible with our trucks. I am not looking for anything fancy, just something I can use to read/clear codes when I do the delete.

My truck is currently at the dealer getting a new DPF installed and they are cleaning the turbo. I will like to buy a smarty, but $$ is an issue now. Thanks.
I got one at Harbor Freight for $119.00 on sale (reg $169.00) but they have two other models for less money. I think they start at around $69.00.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I already order a Smarty Jr from RSD, so I should be good to go. I changed my mind and want to delete all of it now. I got the trcuk at the dealer now and it will be the last time it goes for a de-soot...

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
Sounds good, you will be happy you did! Your truck will thank you too!

· Registered
947 Posts
Gents,

Sorry to Hijack but why is your truck getting the turbo cleaned? What symptoms came up to make you bring it into the dealer? What miles? I just bought my 08 and have alot of catching up to do. I got to take it in to have some stuff looked at and am wondering if i need to have them dig into other things.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a CEL is all I saw. Visible soot on the muffler. They de-soot from the turbo down as a standard practice. More on this when the vehicle gets back from the dealer...

· Registered
947 Posts
Keep me posted. Im curious to see how this turns out. Did you put your egr back together before taking it in?

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only had the EGR unplugged so it was easy to take it back in. The problem with dealers is the lenght of time you will be without the truck everytime you have to take it in.. it freaking sucks..

· Registered
1,802 Posts
Deleted my truck with 500 miles on it and it's never seen the dealer. Now 2 years old and 20,000 miles,don't think that's a coincedence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.