Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to install a new southbend cluth in to my truck and just want to know some quick pointer tips and any other advice thanks

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Get a BIG HEAVY tranny jack 5 ton or better, a buddy or 2 (a gorilla from the zoo if you can). Just incase your not familar the bolts for the flywheel have to be acessed from a little cover plate motor side of the bell housing on the passenger side. are you doing the 3600 or 3250? 3600 requires grinding the ribs in the bell housing as where the 3250 does not. if you dont have a gorilla from the zoo or a couple buddies to help with a BIG jack then seperate the tranny from the transfer case. dont try and man handle this thing you will not win it is HEAVY. and be prepared when the last flywheel bolt comes out the dual mass flywheel is no joke either. dont have precious body part between it and the ground.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What he said also remember that the flywheel bolts are in the front of the trans.And you might have to grind off the ears of the case for it to work.Not all g56 are like that but you dont want to pull it out twice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When you go to put the transmission back in place don't forget to jack up the FRONT of the motor. If you don't you will have a really hard time. I just did mine yesterday and you have to get everything lined up just right or it ain't gonna happen. Good luck

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help and pointers im going to tear into it probly saturday. i dont have alot of mechanical skill but i have strong feelings about doing performance stuff my self so that way when it brakes i know what it should look like to fix it... thanks again

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
we do all of our own work as well, we did a sbc in a buddies 6.7 those suckers are heavy as can be... I bought a tranny jack and it was one of the best investments I have ever made.... GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
324 Posts
one thing i learned after doing mine the other weekend, when you get the shifter stuff apart, and go to pull the shift tower off the transmission, and when you see those goofy looking bolts, dont worry, all you need to use is a 10mm socket. i freaked out and thought it was a special socket that i didnt have, so i went to napa and bought what i thought it would be, but turned out that all i needed was a regular 10mm socket lol!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got the clutch all in and done. runs great but i dont know how long it will take to get the hang of th noise it makes if you bog it alittle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it took about 6 hrs to do but yea alittle loud. lol oh well i like the performance it gives

1 - 10 of 10 Posts