Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first diesel and I was wondering if anyone in the San Diego area can recommend a good shop and somewhere to buy goodies. Thanks!

-Mat

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man! I'm going to load my bed with gas cans next week and go to TJ for a fill up, I hope customs doesn't mind...

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Diesel runs.

thanks man! I'm going to load my bed with gas cans next week and go to TJ for a fill up, I hope customs doesn't mind...
You might try Otay very early in the morning on a weekend. My neighbor goes at 3:00 am and returns with no lineup. I'd be leery of the cans but who knows?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mex

You might try Otay very early in the morning on a weekend. My neighbor goes at 3:00 am and returns with no lineup. I'd be leery of the cans but who knows?
that's a good idea, not too familiar with the otay crossing, but I'm sure I can figure it out. I am looking to get a 2" levelling kit and lift pump to try and save my vp44, orw does some work but do you think JT's would be the better choice? I messaged another guy that's been going south for fuel and he has a tank in his bed and on the trailer he pulls and hasn't had any problems, so I figure I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
that's a good idea, not too familiar with the otay crossing, but I'm sure I can figure it out. I am looking to get a 2" levelling kit and lift pump to try and save my vp44, orw does some work but do you think JT's would be the better choice? I messaged another guy that's been going south for fuel and he has a tank in his bed and on the trailer he pulls and hasn't had any problems, so I figure I'll give it a shot.
P.M.'d you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Just Returned From Mex. Last Week And Crossed At Tecate. The Customs Agent Told Me No More Cans Will Be Allowed Back. I Have A House In Cabo And Always Carry Spare Cans In Case The Stations Don't Have Fuel And Bring Them Back Full When I Come Back. The Customs Agent Said That Is No Longer Possible. I Just Installed A 50 Gal Tank In The Back Of My Bed. That Is Legal And No Problems With Customs. As Far As A Mechanic I Use Cummins Cal Pacific In El Cajon. They Have Always Been Reasonable And Of Course They Know The Engine.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I Just Returned From Mex. Last Week And Crossed At Tecate. The Customs Agent Told Me No More Cans Will Be Allowed Back. I Have A House In Cabo And Always Carry Spare Cans In Case The Stations Don't Have Fuel And Bring Them Back Full When I Come Back. The Customs Agent Said That Is No Longer Possible. I Just Installed A 50 Gal Tank In The Back Of My Bed. That Is Legal And No Problems With Customs. As Far As A Mechanic I Use Cummins Cal Pacific In El Cajon. They Have Always Been Reasonable And Of Course They Know The Engine.
I have a good friend that works at Cummins Cal pacific in the rv/p-up dept.You are in good hands there.
Ive been to Baja with about half the shop,techs/parts.

Bob

·
Registered
528 Posts
I Just Installed A 50 Gal Tank In The Back Of My Bed. That Is Legal And No Problems With Customs. [/QUOTE]

A bed tank is legal with Customs but illegal in Mexico. It is flat illegal to fill bed tanks that are exposed. Built in tanks are the only legal ones by Mexican law. The net is loaded with stories about Mexican Policia stopping and arresting people with bed tanks headed for the border. Check again but check Mexican law not just Customs. My Ford has 3 built in tanks and holds 79 gallons. I use the Otay Mesa crossing with a Centri pass.

Phil Swanson
1995 Wanderlodge

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Not sure if you are aware....You just bumped a 4 year old thread... :rofl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts