Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has probably been brought up hundreds of times. But I’m just looking for advice on safe EGTs on my 6.7. On my 06 5.9 the Edge programmer manual said 1,350°F max.

I just installed my egt probe on my RaceMe. Im not looking to max it out and sustain that heat but when I’m towing and stuff but it’d be nice to know when to back off if needed. I set my alarm to 1,350

·
Registered
318 Posts
I keep mine under 1200 when climbing. Not hard to accomplish in the 4th gen even when tipping the scales over 30k combined.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep mine under 1200 when climbing. Not hard to accomplish in the 4th gen even when tipping the scales over 30k combined.
Yeah. My truck has the silver bullet from industrial injection on the freeway empty I haven’t seen over 800°F

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Short blasts up to and over 1600f wont hurt anything. Sustained you shouldnt be over 1100f or so. Course more wont hurt. But with your set up I'd expect 7-800f empty at 80. Towing will have too many variables to say.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. The ISX Cummins that I drive everyday at work has a pyro and it redlines at 1200°F

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I thought you were asking about your 6.7 not you isx. My mistake

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,710 Posts
But I’m just looking for advice on safe EGTs on my 6.7
He is asking about the 6.7. He also for whatever reason is comparing it to the ISX.

·
Registered
318 Posts
He is asking about the 6.7. He also for whatever reason is comparing it to the ISX.
I don’t think he is comparing it, more so just stating a fact of what the egt gauge on a isx reads safe or unsafe. The isx is a modern Cummins work horse so I can see the relevance. 🤷‍♂️

·
Trying to learn
'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 3.73 4x4
6,710 Posts
com·pare
estimate, measure, or note the similarity or dissimilarity between.

I see now why he said that.

Reactions: akhr

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Well since it was brought up as relevant... did Cummins put the redline at 1200f on said gauge or did the manufacturer of the rest of the truck who installed the gauge set the redline at 1200f.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since it was brought up as relevant... did Cummins put the redline at 1200f on said gauge or did the manufacturer of the rest of the truck who installed the gauge set the redline at 1200f.
I think it might just be the gauge manufacturer. I’ll have to check out the other trucks.

I am asking about the 6.7.trying to figure out safe temps. Pretty much the same as every other diesel I’ve owned

I Was just saying in relevance to the gauges on the big trucks I drive, redline around 1200-1250, but of course they never hardly run over 1000°F even loaded. Unless they’re having a turbo issue or something. Just was wondering if the knew something I didn’t

1 - 11 of 11 Posts