Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing a phat shaft 66 off of a third gen on my truck and the way the intercooler piping is meeting up is around three inches short and three inches down fom the charger outlet. This leads me to bieleve i need an s shaped intercooler boot that is three inches, 90's down three inches, and then 90's out three inches.

Thats alot of curves i know but the way the lower coolant hose is ran it seems to be the best option. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where i can get that type of intercooler boot?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Stainless diesel sells a metal pipe just for that application, and I believe dieselautopower still sells a silicone one also. Honestly if you have a welder it's not hard to make one out of two 90s.

My mig welding's not so good and I wound up with several pinhole leaks so I sealed the joint with JB Weld(no laughing allowed guys) sanded it down nice and painted it.

Reactions: pitman

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Oh it'll hold fine I'm not worried about it. I'm still very new to welding and I found a few pinholes in the joint, but every time I tried to tack it I seemed to burn it just enough to cause another one. Finally just used the JB as a sealer and it's been fine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
When butt welding exhaust tubing with a mig, run the amps up there kinda high and spot weld the entire thing it will seal nice and no worries when you blend it with a grinder. If you want to buy something Stainless has the stuff to set you up.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stainless diesel sells a metal pipe just for that application, and I believe dieselautopower still sells a silicone one also. Honestly if you have a welder it's not hard to make one out of two 90s.

My mig welding's not so good and I wound up with several pinhole leaks so I sealed the joint with JB Weld(no laughing allowed guys) sanded it down nice and painted it.
I bieleve i will try this. Thanks alot for the tips......also, has anyone installed a third gen turbo on their truck and ran into the problem of the oil drain hitting the wastegate actuator and haveing to angle the center hub? I dont think itll hurt it to angle it since the oiling is pressurized?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I bieleve i will try this. Thanks alot for the tips......also, has anyone installed a third gen turbo on their truck and ran into the problem of the oil drain hitting the wastegate actuator and haveing to angle the center hub? I dont think itll hurt it to angle it since the oiling is pressurized?
Oil feed is pressurized but the drain is just gravity. Too much of an angle can affect draining and cause oil to back up inside the turbo and blow past the seals due to the pressure inside. I had alway heard don't angle more than 5 degrees for proper draining.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just used a bending reducer 45degree silicone hose and conected it to my stock pipe. It wasnt a perfect fit but it worked. My stock pipe had aroud a 15 degree bend. Another guy said his was straight. I dont know why mine has a bend but it works thats all I care. I just got 100 dollars into my retrofit. $20 for bending hose and for the downpipe I got it brand new for $80. So if some one wants to know where I got it so cheap just pm me and ill see if I can find web agian. Here is the web site for hose Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts.com

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I built one too and it's a perfect fit
I see that your central hub is tilted a bit to acomodate the oil return line...Have you seen any oil pushing past the seals from the angle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.