Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - I am about to install this breather kit. Do I need to gut my filter for this to be most effective? Trying to rationalize the need to gut the filter if all I am looking to do is not dump the oil vapor back into my turbo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am i correct in saying it would be almost better to leave the ccv filter in tact while running the s&b breather kit? Thinking in terms of double filtration here, while still avoiding the vapors going into the turbo

·
Registered
464 Posts
I wouldn't recommend leaving the filter media in the stock ccv filter without it hooked up to the stock the location. The turbo pulls a vacuum and helps evacuate any crankcase pressure.

If using the external filter gut the media in the stock ccv filter. I have mine gutted and then ran to an air/oil separator and still hooked to the factory location so I get the benefit of the turbo pulling a vacuum. Running the exterior filter is fine as long as you got the filter media.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Leaving the media inside the stock ccv filter and venting to atmosphere will cause high crank case pressure under heavier load, gut out the ccv filter if venting to atmosphere. Codes will need to be dealt with in regards to a ccv filter delete as well.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I definitely would if you are going through with venting to atmosphere. My 2012 was vented to atmosphere by the previous owner but the media was still in the ccv filter, I would see pressures getting up to 5 psi in the crankcase under high load, he’ll even medium load I could see 2.5-3 psi at a time. Just doesn’t relieve the pumping pressures fast enough if the media is left in. Couldn’t imagine what pressures could be seen if you were to have weak piston ring sealing. 5 psi might not seem like much but it is extra stress added to oil seals pushing outwards from inside the engine. My take on it anyways.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, leaving internal filter intact will prevent external filter (S&B) from becoming gunk'd up.

It will delay it but not prevent it. The CCV filter will eventually becomes saturated and still get all over the breather filter.

Mine is covered in bunk as we speak and I’m overdue for changing the CCV filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
767 Posts
I definitely would if you are going through with venting to atmosphere. My 2012 was vented to atmosphere by the previous owner but the media was still in the ccv filter, I would see pressures getting up to 5 psi in the crankcase under high load, he’ll even medium load I could see 2.5-3 psi at a time. Just doesn’t relieve the pumping pressures fast enough if the media is left in. Couldn’t imagine what pressures could be seen if you were to have weak piston ring sealing. 5 psi might not seem like much but it is extra stress added to oil seals pushing outwards from inside the engine. My take on it anyways.

How were you measuring crank case pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured this was the case here, thank you for the additional responses. Truck hasn’t moved since the other day, I’ll be gutting mine tonight as well

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took care of it after work, quite the chore to get everything out of it. I decided to pry it off rather than cut with a large flat head and then used wifeys hair dryer to get the remainder out.

For what it’s worth these pictures show what a ccv looks like with a light 3,000 miles on it / a new truck. Glad it’s gutted and everything is venting up into the s&b

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
The best plan is to put a [email protected] valve cover on. No filter but it has baffles that take ALL of the oil out of the vapor. I've ran mine 6 months and the end of the hose barely has any dirt even stuck to it. Only a [email protected] though..... do not try a ebay special it will blow oil out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Id like to eventually go that route, they look very well made and tested. This will do for the time being however

1 - 15 of 15 Posts