Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

S&B and CEL

768 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  2crazy2stop
I installed my S&B filter about a week ago and everything was going just fine. We went on our first camping trip this weekend and again the filter did just fine. As a side note, 3rd gear close to red line pulling up a steep hill with a constant 30 psi of boost, is almost ear piercing...but I digress.

Anyway, we unhooked, and went for a drive. We were going up a slight grade, running about 10 psi...then she went up to 15 psi...and dropped to 5 psi with this small bang sound. My wife commented on a slight smell that went away very quickly. I didn't think much of it...finished the day out with a couple of key cycles. The next day on the 2nd key cycle the CEL popped up. My questions is, should I be worried (I don't have anything to check the code) and any suggestions of what it is? Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
656 Posts
hopefully no tools or hardware was left inside of the air intake system!
yeah, the bang was the tool inside the intake tube and the smell was him!! lol:hehe:

what was the cel #

· Premium Member
686 Posts
That really sucks man I am sorry to hear that. You have to have proper accountability of all tools and rags when working anywhere near a vehicle. I thought I left a rag in the intercooler when I upgraded to my banks. I almost a brick because of the time it took for me to install. Also i knew a guy who left a rag in his transmission pan needless to say he stop moving in the middle of the desert and couldn't figure out why when he just rebuilt the tranny a week or so before the event.

· 08 Cummins
2,372 Posts
You can check codes by cycling the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON leaving it in the ON position.

Codes should show up where the odometer is. This doesn't work all the time for all codes but it's a start to see what codes may have been thrown. Have a piece of paper and pen to write with as the codes don't stay up too long. It will say DONE once all codes have been displayed.

· Premium Member
686 Posts
Wow that's awesome I didn't know that, I take mine to autozone for any check engine light that pops up.

· Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope no parts left behind:lol4:

The CEL went off after a couple more cycles...maybe the truck was adjusting to all that extra air:party018: I will try that on off thing tonight and see what pops up

Thanks!

· Registered
135 Posts
Try retightening all the clamps and screws. I had the same thing happen a couple of days ago. popped the hood and found all the clamps and what not were a little loose. i think the "pop" sound was the s&b "burping" some air. this was after almost 500 miles. took it to the dealer to have the cel reset, said everything looked fine. autozone scanned it for me the day before, got the P2000 AND P2262.

· Premium Member
686 Posts
You may have just left one of the clamps loose. When I did my intercooler I had a bad boost clamp and every so often my CEL would pop up saying not boost pressure detected. Once I replace that clamp it hasn't popped up since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.