Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2006 5.9 (15K miles) began running rough when I started it cold(70degrees) and blowing white smoke about two weeks ago.

I took it to the dealer, they could find nothing and of course it didn't do it at the dealership(engine warm). Dealer reset the computer but it still does it.

Took it back to the dealer, he has had it for two days says it does not run rough or blow smoke. He still has the truck.

Any ideas on this??:hateit:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
fuel pressure low?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how can i check the fuel pressure

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
should be a port on the fuel rail or general vicinity to hook a pressure gauge up to, another thing to do is get some gauges for your truck, fuel pressure, boost, egt, trans temp. so you can keep an eye on everything while driving, and since it's an rv puller, i would suggest getting them soon. or maybe the edge juice w/attitude since it has all the gauges on the in cab monitor.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone make a gage package? I intend to get the Edge once my warranty is up. I was told it would void the warranty.

·
Registered
129 Posts
might want to check either the full pressure or the fuel filter. i had that problem on a cold engine start not cold weather but cold engine and i had white smoke and really rough running. changed the fuel filter has not done it since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took mine in for the same problem in Nov 07. dealer said no flash was available.
took it back last week and flash was available. Truck has no symptons so far.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
my truck actually did this when the first oil change was due... and flashed a code dealership said it was common???? how long has it been since you changed the oil?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I prefer the quad monitor cause it does rail pressure also. The edge might but if you ever get tired of the edge chip it wont work with another chip/programmer as far as i know. And quadzilla chips arent traceable if you take them off. PM me if you are interested about it i dont mark them up much. As for the smoke.. could be an injector but most of the time an injector would do it constantly. It also depends on whether it was stuck open/closed. When i had an injector go out it didnt white smoke but it just dumped fuel into the oil. Check the oil level, and see if it smells like diesel or if it is thin. Also, if this is happening your oil pressure will drop so watch that too. Even after replacing the injectors mine had a small amount of visible smoke on startup in cold weather, but it quickly cleared. It could be the lift pump also. Dealer should be able to do a flow test on the lift pump for about fifty dollars. This is what they quoted me when i suspected mine was going out. Lift pump should sound like your running out of diesel if its bad. Some things you should try: I dont know how cold it is, but you might consider pluggin in your diesel cause the low sulfer gels bad. You could also try some fuel additive.. i use power services whenever i cant afford schaeffers. If it gets cold there, get additive that advertises anti-gel. Thats about all i can think of unless you can give some more symptoms.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not cold here, mid 60s at night mid 80s during the day. I had the dealer change the oil last week when I first took it in as it had almost 15k miles on the truck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Definetly go with the juice with attitude. Very nice and lots of power and adjustments with all the gauges you will need to monitor. Yes you can piggy back on the juice with attitude I think. Atleast in the second gen stuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, after nine days the dealer told me they replaced the trucks computer and it should be fine. However when I was leaving the service manager told me that it would Idle rough and blow smoke upon cold start for awhile. I told him that was why I brought it to him in the first place. he said I could have gotten some bad fuel. I told him this was the third tank full since it started blowing smoke and ideled rough on cold start.

Two days later I took it to another dealer, he told me that they had hooked up their machine and could find nothing wrong with the truck after two days. I went outside and started it and let it blow smoke into their shop as I left. I had even brought them a copy of the TSB on rough idle and blowing smoke on cold start. They said that was just a gudeline and they saw nothing wrong. Truck has 14,200 miles on it.

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone else have this problem

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine did the same thing but in cold weather, idle rough and blow white smoke for about 45 sec, brought it to th dealer done a reflash, fix problem but now the weather has warmed up it is back, cant win for lose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The outside temperatures here have been ranging form about 50F(low in the mornings) when it started back in April. the temperatures vary from about 72f low to low 90's and it still does it. Now I stand outside on the passenger side when I start it in the mornings and watch the smoke and smell the diesel. For some reason I can not convince the dealership that it should not do that.

I even took the truck to a different dearlership where they have a good diesel mechanic. That dealership told me to take it back to the dealer I bought it from as they did not want to get involved!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
When mine was doing the exact same thing it turned out to be a failing injector. But the dealer was giving me the same story as you are getting. After driving it that way for about 8,000 miles, they finally replaced the bad injector.

Unfortunately for them, they also ended up replacing all 4 valves on that cylinder due to carbon buildup from the leaky injector.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What dealership did you go to?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First took it to Crown Dodge in Pascagoula where I bought it. When they couldn't fix it I took it to Bayside in D'Iberville, MS they are supposed to have a good diesel mechanic, but the would not work on it, told me to take it back to the dealer where I bought it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts