Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys... almost about to take the vp44 dive here... wanted to run this by you guys first. truck cut out yesterday (like a switch). no codes from the dash board (3x key cycle), replaced the lift pump (cause i found no output, yet it ran the 25 seconds). also (posted yesterday about it...it was impressive to look at) i took off the top plate on the lift pump and found that a bearing of some sort had been rattlin around and doin some damage on the rotary pump mechanics- looks like it's been at it for awhile now too... meaning the vp has been w/o the lifty for awhile?) anyway, now i've got good pressure up to the injector pump but the truck won't fire up (bled the primary, yet there's still no pressure at the injectors (bubbles at first, then nothing at the output of the vp unit...). lookin' at a pump? what's the chance it's something else? computer module per say? from what i've read so far (great site here, btw) this is a very common fuel system failure, and even a common failure characteristic, but want to know what eleventh hour diags i should run before making this 'investment.' also, my haynes manual calls for a sophisticated injector pump timing check that only 'highly certified diesel technicians' should perform... what's up with this? not finding much about it... (and maybe for good reason?... meaning that the afore mention tech is not the guy typing this posting... heh heh... thanks guys... :thud:

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Here is the best info I know of on diagnosing a VP44.

VP44 DIAGNOSTIC HELP

Other good fuel system info there as well if you look around on the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dad...

checked out the vp44 troubleshooter you posted and those blue chip folks seem pretty informed. lot's of good info. i just pulled the pickup to a local guy to have it scanned for the final diagnosis... expecting it to be critical. i've been shopping here in fairbanks and got prices that range from $1990 to $2700 (it's the HO w/6 spd)... found an outfit outta idaho that'll sell it for $1250 and get it here next day for $130... Sound decent to you guys? And seein's how i already put in the oem transfer pump, should i leave it inline with a fass (or equivalent) or put in a thru-line? thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

thanks...

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Seems like a decent price. You can post in the "Request Price Quote" forum on here and al the site sponsors will give you pricing as well.

I would get a new drawstraw and go with a FASS or Airdog and be done with worrying about lift pumps. I would also have them throw a fuel pressure gauge in for good insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there ! Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion-buy a factory shop manual and a scantool. I picked up a factory shop manual (techauthority.com) on cd for $99.00 from Genos' Garage and a fairly decent Actron scantool At Advance Auto for arounnd $175.00. They paid for themselves the first time I used them versus going to the dealer for a bad MAP sensor. The Haynes manual is good for Quick reference only-the most basic stuff. A Factory manual for a 2001 is nearly 3000 pages of info. that is also available in book form. The cd is easy to use once you get used to it. You can always "borrow" a scantool at Autozone or Advance. Just tryin' to help. Have a great one !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts