·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My 2014 Ram 3500 has a 32 gal tank.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some research it seems my truck holds 32 gallons. Coulda went another 50 miles-

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not sure what size tank is on my 2012 2500 Crew but I’ve squeezed over 37 gallons in it multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not sure what size tank is on my 2012 2500 Crew but I’ve squeezed over 37 gallons in it multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Those should be 34, unless you have a long bed, I think you can get a bigger tank.

·
Registered
370 Posts
So I’m confused

I fill up at a 1/4 tank because I’m afraid of the fuel pump sucking air into the system while I climb a hill.
You guys make me think I’m crazy for doing so because apparently nothing bad happens when you drain to the last few drops

·
Registered
370 Posts
HTML:
Tank size is definitely one place Ford kills it, at least in the crew cab long bed configuration
Buddy has a 450. Towing the same load he only goes 75 miles farther than me. Sucks more fuel = Needs bigger tank just to compete

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
292 Posts
HTML:

Buddy has a 450. Towing the same load he only goes 75 miles farther than me. Sucks more fuel = Needs bigger tank just to compete

I have a 2017 F350, FX4, CC, long-box for work. 6.7L and 3.55 gears, 45 gallon tank. I get 600-650 miles/tank, regularly.

My 2016 RAM 2500, CC, short box, 6.7L, 3.42 gears and 32 gallon tank is lucky to see 400 miles/tank under similar conditions.

Having a 50% fuel tank is awesome, but not a big enough factor to dissuade over a RAM imho.

I prefer the RAM; however, the Ford towing is no slouch, comparatively.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
/_________\
(0====0)
|o———o|
[]———-[]

·
Registered
104 Posts
The fuel numbers on the new trucks always make me appreciate my 12 valve. I always get at least 600 miles a tank. Over 700 if it's a steady highway drive haha

·
Registered
440 Posts
Somehow I overfilled mine last night. The pump clicked off, I waited a few seconds and lightly squeezed the handle to get a few more drops and it kept flowing steadily. All of the sudden a bunch of foamy diesel is flowing down the side of my truck. Not sure what happened but the truck took almost 25 gallons with 75mi remaining on the EVIC.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
So I’m confused

I fill up at a 1/4 tank because I’m afraid of the fuel pump sucking air into the system while I climb a hill.
You guys make me think I’m crazy for doing so because apparently nothing bad happens when you drain to the last few drops
There's no problem running until the fuel light comes on or further... Just don't run out of fuel like a knucklehead. Even if you do, these things aren't like the old trucks needing a prime, cycle the key a half dozen times and fire it up. I consistently put between 28-30 gallons in every fill up.

*knock on wood, I've never ran out of fuel/gas.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,876 Posts
The fuel numbers on the new trucks always make me appreciate my 12 valve.
I always get at least 600 miles a tank. Over 700 if it's a steady highway drive haha
^^^ Good point. ^^^
Hate to admit it but I do spend a good bit of time planning my fueling stops rather than simply enjoying the ride when I'm going long-haul with the camper on the back of my 2016. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There's no problem running until the fuel light comes on or further... Just don't run out of fuel like a knucklehead. Even if you do, these things aren't like the old trucks needing a prime, cycle the key a half dozen times and fire it up. I consistently put between 28-30 gallons in every fill up.

*knock on wood, I've never ran out of fuel/gas.
I just worry about the cp3 as some of that fuel is returning to cool the pump and the fuel being returned is really hot, so if there’s nothing in the tank but a couple gallons.....it’s all really hot. So I try and get fuel when it’s at a 1/4 or better on the main tank but it helps having 40+ where my spare tire was. Maybe I worry too much :crying:

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
137 Posts
HTML:
What Gears does your Buddy's 450 have? I'm willing to bet they are much lower than your 3.42 so your comparison is not valid. If you were both running the same gears and his numbers were that bad then that would be different.

I haven't gotten enough miles on my new F250 yet to determine what fuel mileage I will get. So far combined city and freeway i'm averaging about 15.5 mpg.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts