Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed running lights on the truck. I have a 2500 that came without them I was wondering how involved it would be. I assume that I have to drop the headliner. Any pics info or links would be great

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
are you talking about the clearance lights on the top of the cab?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I was thinking of some cool dark rather then the yellow amber

·
Registered
761 Posts
yeah i did it on my sport not to lond ago, i was farley easy. by myself.

but would be better with four hands!

good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
easy to do. i put them on my truck.

yes you have to take the headliner out. all it involves in mounting them (self tapping screws),
drilling a hole thru the roof for the wire, splicing the single wire from each light to one long wire that i ran to the wire in the back of the headlight switch that is hot when both the headlights and running lights are on (simple to find, just get a tester)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
recon instructions are difficult... search it on the forum they had a guy that did them on his truck and the instructions seem pretty easy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kentucky,
how long did it take you?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I recently did this as well, I put 3rd gen smoke recons on my 2nd gen. It was not very hard, just be patient and careful. I would agree, about 2-3hrs. I used rubber well-nuts to attach mine, instead of just screwing right through the roof, and to be safe I put a small bead of the black RTV sealant adhesive around each one when I was done. It actually went better than I thought. I searched around on here and there are some posts with further instructions. If I get more time I will post a pic.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The best instructions I can give you, is to drop the entire headliner, sounds like a pain, but your better off, oncce you get it dropped, the holes for lights or in the cab already. I found a holesaw that fit the holes perfectly and drilled them from the bottom, no measuring involved. Once you do that, I just eyeballed my lights, maybe measure off the lights next to it to place them, and drill the mounting holes. I drilled a 5/16 hole and used rubber well nuts, they worked excellent, I got the idea from a post. Then I mounted, ran my own wire and hard wired them, put the headliner back up, and finished my beer!:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Boy, after reading my post, that could be confusing to someone else, if you have any questions, just holler:woot:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
There are no provisions on where to drill on the 3rd Gen trucks on the bottom of the roof after the headliner is down. Only on the 2nd Gen and older. You have to measure everything out from the top on the 3rd Gen trucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts