Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I pulled the skid loader about 75 miles to the lake. The temperature would run right at the top mark of the normal range on the gauge, but if I would try to merge onto the interstate with my a/c on it would shoot up into the red, right at 240*. But if I shut the a/c down for about 30 seconds it will go right back to where it was at that top mark, and I can turn the a/c back on and run normal untill i get off at a exit and go to merge onto the interstate again.

Any wisdom on this?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Seems a little extreme but I don't really know. But for now the other a/c is the two toggles on your door by the power locks.:lol3:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats what I've had to do for now. I'm gonna have my brother (who is a mechanic) take a look at my cooling system for any problems.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how to solve this.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
When I had my '99, it started to run warm on me. Found out it was the radiator fins plugged up with dust, dirt, cattail fluff, cottonwood fluff etc. The oil breather tube is routed to the front of the engine. All that garbage was sticking to the oily residue the the breather was emitting. I don't remember what soap or cleaner I used then, but I'd probably mix up a batch of simple green and spray in it there and let is soak a while. Then back spray all the garbage out of there. It's a tight squeeze, but it can be done!! Hope that helps!!:thumbsup

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Dorkweed has got it there... The crankcase vent is responible for the overheating most times. The oil vapors tend to collect dust and dirt on the radiator. I would consider relocating you crankcase vent...

Crankcase Vent

Then wash out radiators and cooolers with simple green or simular...:w:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Would degreaser work?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may want to look at the fan clutch. It can cause heating under load if it's not enguaging properly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I had my '99, it started to run warm on me. Found out it was the radiator fins plugged up with dust, dirt, cattail fluff, cottonwood fluff etc. The oil breather tube is routed to the front of the engine. All that garbage was sticking to the oily residue the the breather was emitting. I don't remember what soap or cleaner I used then, but I'd probably mix up a batch of simple green and spray in it there and let is soak a while. Then back spray all the garbage out of there. It's a tight squeeze, but it can be done!! Hope that helps!!:thumbsup

Yea I cleaned it out real good the other day with some degreaser and there doent seem to be anything left built up on there, but it still runs warm

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Time to look at doing a T-stat and coolant change...

If that doesn't do it then the fan clutch went south...

·
Registered
301 Posts
do it again. mine ran REAL hot towing my buddies 328 JD skid steer. i wound up using some Gunk, Walmart engine degreaser, and some purple power . let it soak up and keep soaking it down. you could get yourself to a car wash some evening and soak it up. then use their power washer to blow the crap out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts