Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Belive it or not since I bought my truck in Feb. I had not opened it up to see what it would do until this week. Well, I was taking off yesterday and put the pedal on the floor. My question is this, I was up to approximately 75mph and looked down at my RPM's. I was running like 3300 rpm's and it was in the red. I let off the pedal and it shifted gears and everything was fine. 1. Is this normal and 2. does this engine have a rev limiter on it to keep you from red lining and blowing it up.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
that sounds kinda strange.... i think there might be a minor problem w/ your tranny. did you purchase this vehicle brand new or used? To me that does not seem normal. my truck has never hit that rpm, even at full wot
:popcorn::popcorn:

not sure. you should check your tranny fluid. and don't know if a rev limiter on an auto tranny, because it should just shift at a certain point and a manual should have one.

But then again that new auto on them 6.7 have that sequencial shifting....so im not sure. sorry if i was no help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it used. It does fine in just normal everyday driving. If I am driving at like 50 to 60mph and get on it to pass or something it seems to hunt for 3rd and 4th gear. It doesn't feel like it is slipping just hunting for what gear it wants to be in. This is my 1st diesel truck so I didn't know if that was normal or just the heavy duty tranny/truck. It has approx 88,000 miles on it. I was thinking about taking it in and getting the fluid and filter changed and the bands checked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts