Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any thoughts on how many rpm's is too high , seems like with the smarty it easily wants to turn around 3400rpm. just wandering if there is arev limiter or not.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
3500 is about the limit on stock valve springs, depending on the throttle position and boost the smarty will let the truck run all the way up to 3400 (same on the 5.9's) much over that valve float may become an issue.

·
Registered
398 Posts
sincerely and with respect.... why would the valves float at such a low rpm vs. a gasser at around 6500 rpm.

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,907 Posts
I don't think they are has heavy of a rate as on a typical gasser motor. I haven't seen it personally I am just reiterating what i have heard others say, it could be wrong. I do know with high boost levels and high RPMs valve float becomes an issue.

G

·
Have to remember there is a complete difference between the Gassers and the Diesels.

Diesels are mde to run slower. Part of that is because of all the iron flying around

·
Registered
398 Posts
Honestly I'm just looking for a definitive answer. It's kinda thought provoking isn't it???

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive noticed the tuck sometimes HICK-UPS at lower rpms when under a heavier throttle, i always thought it was a rev limiter, but if i roll on it slowly it goes to 3400 no prob.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
with the edge juice/attitude I have hit 3500 +- a few hunderd several times, mainly when the streets are wet and the rpms can jump up quickly, havent gotten that high when rpm's are reached slowly.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
on the dyno we pinned it till we hit 3400-3500 then let off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts