Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read that Royal Purple is one of the top synthetic oils, but one of my clients is a distributer of Amsoil, and claims Amsoil is the best. At what mileage should you switch to synthetics?

·
Registered
529 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
287 Posts
My motor was just rebuilt the mechenic said to go ahead and put in syn at 1000 miles. any body else have an opinion???:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Amsoil, the first in synthetics! talk to deluth diesel if you really want to know about it.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told to wait till the engine was broke in, or it would never break in since it works so well.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
yes wait till it is broke in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you say wait till it breaks in or it will never break in, so your sayin if i put syn in now it will never break in so it will be new forever :rof

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very funny....i crapped a little just then. that would be very nice.

·
Registered
287 Posts
mec said as long as the rings are broke in is good to go , break rings in fast by goin down hill lower gear speed up let engin back pressurs slow truck down = quick break in

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldnt that hurt your rear main over time though?

·
Registered
287 Posts
dunno i always use engin as brake when pullin trailer never had a problem!!!

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always do too, but i use an exhaust brake.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
royal purple

My in my drag car is 10yrs old never had the short block apart and have changed the oil twice I swear by royal purple when they get thier CJ-4 oil produced I will switch to that:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I talked to the dealer about it they said with this motor not before 10-15k. If before the motor won't break in until 60-70k. I believe them because my wifes dakota just broke in at 35k miles and I change it to synthtic at 3k miles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If we believed that it used to take 12-15k miles to brake in a diesel with the regular diesel fuel, {meaning the higher sulfer} wouldn't it be more likely to break in at alot lower miles with the low sulfer diesel. Just a thought. Who knows when the rings are really broke in. I would hate to think that you could allready have bore pollishing by 15k by using a oil that isn't sufficant. That brings up a whole differant subject. What to break your engine on. Better to get the advantage of syn sooner than later. It might take a little longer to break in, but think how your engine will love you in the later years. John

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The fuel you burn has nothing to do with engine break in but engine oil does. You can break in a diesel engine in, in under 10,000 miles if you work it while towing or hauling weight. It can take 25-30,000 miles to break a diesel engine in if its just drove as a Daily Driver. IMHO its best to use Dino oil during break in and then switch to synthetic oil after the rings are seated.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
The fuel you burn has nothing to do with engine break in but engine oil does. You can break in a diesel engine in, in under 10,000 miles if you work it while towing or hauling weight. It can take 25-30,000 miles to break a diesel engine in if its just drove as a Daily Driver. IMHO its best to use Dino oil during break in and then switch to synthetic oil after the rings are seated.
yeah you never break in a motor with synthetic! since you change it so much it'd be stupid to spend more money.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If the fuel doesn't have anything to do with break in, why do diesels take so long to brake in compared to gas engines. I know for a fact that a gas engines brake in way before a diesel engine. The only concern is that the rings break in, for oil control and blow by. Your kidding yourself if you think that fuel has nothing to do with break in, or braking you engine or injection pumps. Lubrication is lubrication any way you look at it. The new fuel is less lubricating. If you know how diesel fuel is made you would understand that it has a huge amount of oil in it, because of less prossesing next to gass. High amounts of Sulfer is found in crude oil that isn't pure as others, sulfer is a lubricant, at least thats what I was told by powerstroke and cummins diesel training techs.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
My motor was just rebuilt the mechenic said to go ahead and put in syn at 1000 miles. any body else have an opinion???:popcorn:
I would wait a little longer than a 1000 miles. If you go to royalpurple.com they say to wait at least 10000 miles before you use syn oils. why I am not sure.

They are both extremely good oils.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the helpful info guys. My truck just hit 20,000 miles, but doesnt feel broke in yet. It just doesnt feel the same as my other truck( 2004).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts