Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rounded off the plastic nut on top off the fuel filter housing,any Ideas on how to get off. thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
They make aluminum replacements. I've been considering one myself. I always hate breaking that cap loose. Always feel like its right on the edge of stripping.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have rounded off the plastic nut on top off the fuel filter housing,any Ideas on how to get off. thanks
The first time I changed mine someone from the dealership used a lot of force... I ended up using a strap wrench around the head in conjunction with a 6 point socket. The combination of these 2 helped mine break loose. I'm not sure if a strap wrench around the cap would help you or not now...

·
Go Packers
6,017 Posts
I use a 28mm 6 point socket & ratchet. No extensions. Keeping a steady pull on the ratchet seems to work best. Very first filter change, the cap was on really tight.

I do NOT torque the cap down. I just snug it up good. I do check for leaks after starting. Knock on wood, no leaks yet. Make sure you do replace the "O" ring and coat it with oil before installing.

I also turn the cap counter clockwise a bit or so to let it seat down on the threads to aid in the prevention of cross threading the cap in putting it back on.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,817 Posts
I ran into this issue on a buddies truck (a 2011 IIRC) we used a large pair of channel locks, after i ran home to grab them of course. Make sure they are the style with the angled cut outs, not the straight teeth. The ones we used are in this picture, they are the red and black ones, for your reference

·
Registered
1 Posts
It happened to me. I drilled 2 holes and use a spanner wrench with extension pipe through the fender well. Replace it with the aluminum cover.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fuel filter cap and oil drain plug... Tighten them to 20 ft. Lbs. and it takes 200 ft. Lbs. to loosen them! Craig

·
Registered
373 Posts
They make aluminum replacements. I've been considering one myself. I always hate breaking that cap loose. Always feel like its right on the edge of stripping.
Do it! I finally spent the money on one and I’m so glad I did after many fights with the stupid plastic one. It’s worth it to eliminate the headache from the stock one.

Follow Camperman’s links to Geno’s.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Man, I don't know how on earth you guys can use a strap wrench or vice grips on it even when stripped and still get leverage. Even with my correct socket and extensions I use it still takes a sh*t ton of torque to get the thing to budge, i feel like i am going to rip the entire canister off the mount!

·
Go Packers
6,017 Posts
Man, I don't know how on earth you guys can use a strap wrench or vice grips on it even when stripped and still get leverage. Even with my correct socket and extensions I use it still takes a sh*t ton of torque to get the thing to budge, i feel like i am going to rip the entire canister off the mount!
I don't use extensions, just a ratchet & socket. Since I'm on the short side, I use a 2 step, step stool to stand on. That helps me get closer & more over the fuel canister. Keeping a steady pull on the ratchet works best for me.

·
Go Packers
6,017 Posts
^^ Wouldn't it be a loss of protection without the water separator in place?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I don't use extensions, just a ratchet & socket. Since I'm on the short side, I use a 2 step, step stool to stand on. That helps me get closer & more over the fuel canister. Keeping a steady pull on the ratchet works best for me.
I also use a 2 step stool. Man I don't know how you do it like that! I have no room for my hands there, let alone getting any power to get it moving and I have considered my self to be somewhat strong of a guy too! :D

·
Go Packers
6,017 Posts
I also use a 2 step stool. Man I don't know how you do it like that! I have no room for my hands there, let alone getting any power to get it moving and I have considered my self to be somewhat strong of a guy too! :D
Guess I'm lucky, IDK. I don't have large hands and my arms are smaller than many guys.

When truck was first new, I read threads on how tight the gorilla at the factory put these caps on. My Brother in Law was over, and he could very well been one of those gorilla guys at the factory. It was on so tight from the factory, I no luck & had him get it off. Looking back, I think I was scared of breaking it. It was just about all he could do to get his arms & hands in there. I scheduled the fuel filter change at home on a day he would be there to help with it. (the man don't know his own strength) I have done all fuel filter changes since that one.

Your are correct, it is a tight fit. One thing I've noticed, ever since the changing out of the original factory fuel filter, all cap removals since have been a cinch. I don't torque it down putting it back on, just snug it up good & check for leaks.

·
Registered
188 Posts

The first time I did mine I had my son pull the strap wrench through the fender well and I pulled on the series of extensions and swivels attached to the ratchet standing on a 2 stepper.

Like camper man said since I did it the first time I have no issues with just the ratchet and socket. I put it back on lubed with oil and snug it up.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have seen the Billet cap Geno's sells. Looks pretty decent. I would think it would be easier to remove than our stock cap. Not a big price difference between them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts