Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just bought a new 27' sled trailer in Oregon for a ridiculously good deal. So my brother and I are going to make a run to grab it. Any ways i've been looking around and I cant come up with any of the rules or regs for bringing extra fuel into Canada. I have heard of a possible tax duty but not sure of what or when it applies. I had a close call last trip through almost running out of fuel helping a friend drive her jeep to Washington, definitely don't want to do that again also with fuel being more expensive through Canada I would like to bring some extra. My plan was to just have a spare 55 gal drum in the bed, use it through Canada then fill it back up on the other side and repeat the process back to AK. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Also what's the best trailer brake controller to purchase for our rigs?

Chase,

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller,.. as for the fuel,.. you might be better off using a tidy tank instead of just a "drum"

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
Tank must be mounted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Canada is strick on fuel. I brought two five gallon cans and I didn't use any of it. I went from Ohio all the way to anchorage last march. Being that your fuel tank it so big you should have any issues filling up at half tank or so. I no when I did my research with fuel and Canada. It wasn't a lot you were aloud to bring.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Last year I went fishing in central SK. Had a tank with 97 Gallon of gas for the boat in the bed. Was never bothered or questioned about it. I've gone through the border with a couple 6 gallon cans a couple times and also never been questioned. YMMV

·
Registered
18 Posts
the first time i drove from nebraska to anchorage and i had 40 gallons of gas, never got asked about them and i got pulled over a few times. on they way back in Jan '11 i had a 75gal transfer tank and drove from anchorage thru canada into montana and nobody said a word

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I think there is more of a problem if your a Canadian, coming back from the States, I've gone across a few times with a 80gallon aux tank in the bed, mine is plumbed into my filler neck with a shut off valve, never had a problem.

I remember hearing many years ago of a fellow who had a huge tank(gas) in the back of his 1/2 ton, and he was given grief at the border, until they realised it was plumbed into the truck and it was actually the trucks fuel tank.

I do know if over a certain size the tank had to be placarded(sign stating tanks
contents)

best to call customs and ask them your self

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
I just made the trip from Anchorage to Texas... Brought with me an extra 25 gallons of diesel. Never got stopped by po po.. but noone said anything at the boarders about it.

It's a fun trip... Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made the drive from Fairbanks to Texas last summer and no one said a word about the 35 gallons of heating oil that I brought with me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks guys for the info looks like I'll be running with my original plan. This is only going to be a one time run and I don't want anything in the bed permanently taking up my precious short bed space. I had a buddy drive up a new cummins from Utah in 05' with a 55 gal drum in the bed and he was never questioned as well. Just thought I heard somewhere that the rules have changed. Again thanks for your help guys...

Chase

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Also for got to add that a few days ago near the boarder of Montana and Alberta they were out of gas and diesel. I'm sure this is not an issue now. Just a heads up.

I had to chance it and try my luck and drive another 85 miles on 1/4 tank. Only had another 5 gallons of spare. Lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.