Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought this truck. 1996 170k slipping tranny 3500 bucks and the body is in mint condition but the only minor issue is when i start the truck it takes a while to crank over and start, unless you push the skinny pedal a little then it fires with a puff of white smoke. Then it runs fine but only idols at about 750 rpms and sometimes when it goes into gear it sometime kills if you push the throttle to fast but i was thinking that could be caused by the slipping tranny (scheduled next week for rebuild). Can anyone help me out on an easy fix or what my issue might be?
Thanks everyone for helping me out!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bump the idle up if the stalling when cold bothers you.
otherwise normal for a low idle.
Using pedal to start is normal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i only had to use the pedal to start mine when it was leaking air into fuel system. may be getting air in fuel system causing it to be hard to start.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Check to see if your grid heater is actually working in cold starts, not 100% sure what temps it turns on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ditto on the idle adjustment. After my 4k install my idle was 1k so I decided to idle it down to about 700. Never had any issues with starting until I dropped the idle down. Then I had to barely touch the skinny and it would fire up. Bumped the idle back up to around 850 and it is back to its old self. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Bump the idle up if the stalling when cold bothers you.
otherwise normal for a low idle.
Using pedal to start is normal.
My wife's truck also dies when cold if you get off the throttle too fast. And you also have to give some throttle for an immediate start. My Chevy on the other hand has never died by chopping the throttle, and starts without throttle if you so much as sneeze on the ignition. Many Many people have to give a little throttle for an immediate start. Bumping the idle will prob cure all your ills, but they really aren't that out of the norm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.