Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cummins Gurus,

Friday I had my rig serviced by a local shop. Good mechanic, been there many times. He changed the oil, fuel filter, rotated tires and some other general inspections. He also, against my better judgement, washed the engine, using a power washer at the carwash around the corner. When I picked it up, it ran beautiful. Drove about 10 miles home. It sat for about 30 min before taking off again to go back into town. About halfway into town, it suddenly started running rough, and smoking (white) alot. It stayed that way for a couple of miles, then just as suddenly, started running beautiful again. Ran great thru running some errands and back to home. Saturday morning it fired up fine and ran great back into town to my sons baseball game. Ok, so I was thinking at that point that it was a power wash based anomoly that had cleared itself up. On the way home from the game, it started running rough again...white smoke..engine light. Nursed it home. That's where I'm at. I checked for codes...nothing. I pulled the only goodie off (Quad Z MMM) with no change to how it's running, although there was moisture in the connectors.

Could this be a fuel filter thing instead of some ill effect of the power washing?

What's my next step guys? I'm on tap for carpooling in the morning and I've got to make a decision on what to do with this truck in the morning.

Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

Completely stressing,
Bulltrout

06 Megacab 5.9 w/87000 mi.
QuadZ MMM

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd think water in one of the connectors. Pressue washing is not nice to electronics.

I'd also call your mechanic in the morning and let him know what happened.

Ops

·
Registered
78 Posts
When i wash my motor ( because i hate dirty motors ) i use the low pressure pre soak..
then use the low pressure spot free rinse, then the dryer . i've never had a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ops...Thinking the same regarding water in a connector, I left the hood open with the engine in the direct sunlight all day today.
Just got home from an all day Mom thing and cycled the key to check for codes and it threw a P0192 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Low. Still running very rough. Does this give anybody any more ideas as to the cause?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Just washed my engine yesterday. Got home shut the truck down and went to start it later that night. After start up it was running very rough. Shut it down and pulled the p0192 code. Checked the rail pressure sensor and my plugs had water in them. Letting it sit right now with the batteries unhooked and the plugs un done. Had my hair dryer on them earlier with low heat. Hopefully this will cure my problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts