Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is rotella synthetic oil good to use in the 6.7? I have always run plain rotella in all my other diesels. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Make sure it is a CJ-4 API oil spec and you'll be fine. DO NOT run a CI-4+ spec oil in the 6.7 since it is equipped with a DPF. As for info about it, Rotella Synthetic is just a Group III synthetic, not a Group IV or V. It is the lowest grade oil that can be sold as "synthetic" and is a hydrocracked mineral oil base stock.

-Chuck

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the info. I use my truck to haul cattle, and was wandering if I could go 7500 miles or longer instead of 5000 miles with normal oil?

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
Mega,
the Over Head gave me the oil change required at ~3000. After watching that supplemental DVD and reading some of the supplemental Owners man. If you have all of your stock emissions equip, it will tell you if you need to get an oil change sooner than the 7500. some of the other guys on here that haul more would be able to tell you better about the longevity of the conventional oil.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
all of them seem to be set to come on at or before 3k. Mine did, then again at 7k and again at 11k. I dont use my truck in the most severe conditions so i dont think that thing knows. I just reset it and change my oil at normal intervals.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
all of them seem to be set to come on at or before 3k. Mine did, then again at 7k and again at 11k. I dont use my truck in the most severe conditions so i dont think that thing knows. I just reset it and change my oil at normal intervals.
WHat kinda oil have you been using?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
First change was done at the Dealership so whatever they use, the next one was done at a oil change place and it was a synthetic of some sort. Today i am possibly gonna get the Amsoil in if i can get the Bypass installed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I pretty much agree with Duluth... Group 3 is going to be a little better than a regular conventional oil but it should not be called a synthetic... They just call it Syn so they can charge more for it....
If you want a good Syn Oil get one of the top 4...
Schaeffer Specialize Lubricants is my choice followed by Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline.
There are some others out there but you can't go wrong with those...
I like Schaeffer because I think you get more for you money. :$: :w:

Oilguy

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I use my truck to haul cattle, and was wandering if I could go 7500 miles or longer instead of 5000 miles with normal oil?
If you do a lot of towing if you use Amsoil you could go 12,000-15,000 miles between changes.

·
Banned
393 Posts
one of my clients runs Amsoil in his truck, and has only changed the filter once in the last 150,000 miles. I wouldnt reccomend doing that, but he just keeps it topped off, and changes it every 20,000 miles. That sounds stupid to me, but he is a distributer of the stuff, and does that just to make a point. He sends of smples of his oil to have tested to prove how good it is. Someone correct me if im wrong, but if you follow the direction from Amsoil, they Guarantee the oil and any Engine issues that may arrise if caused by the oil...but i might be wrong on that. ask the Amsoil sponsor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Holy cow... 20K in milage before a change.. I run 'em hard but wow...

·
Registered
395 Posts
that is insane lol....but if it is true then that is bad @ss.....i still have to order mine from amsoil when I go on my break from work in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
With my AMSOIL bypass system, and running AMSOIL AME 15W40, I can easily get 30k out of an oil change with one filter change at the 15k mark.

Major oil companies that have their money invested in crude oil have no financial interest in making a top quality product. They need to move a huge volume of crude to make money. So, the equation is simple. Product the oil cheap on the front end to keep production costs low, ensure that the oil doesn't last very long, forcing customers to come back for more of the same stuff more often. This makes their oil cheap to product and ensure that consumers will buy more of it. With crude oil prices skyrocketing, a higher quality oil that isn't based on crude is a better answer. Group IV synthetics fit this bill. Engineered better with better ingredients, they last longer and protect better. When you calculate the cost per mile, given the longer drain interval and less maintenance downtime, better quality oils actually save you money.

-Chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts