Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I used to work in a big rig shop. I started out in the lube pit and most of the owner operators who were real picky about their trucks and had the big Petes with Cat motors ALL ran Rotella 15-40 with a gallon of Lucas. Equivalant of my truck being Rotella with a quart of Lucas mixed in. Now I'm readin in a couple places that Rotella AND Lucas are junk? I don't know NEARLY enough to make an educated decision cuz I don't know about all the technicalities that some of you here seem to know. So I appreciate the vendors will want me to use what they sale and I'm open to hearin what they have to say, but I really want to hear from the unaffiliated third part guys to see what's worked for you.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
I wouldn't read all that BS. They are great lubricates and will supply the engine with miles of great protection. I heard that lucas oil stabilizer will foam up in our engines. Do I believe that....nope. I run sythetic rotella and 1quart or synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer. No problems yet and it runs and idles strong, oil changed at 12k miles. Dyno'd 528hp on mustang dyno with 99k miles so that should tell something. Keep running it. Everybody talks about Amsoil but I'm happy with my oil set up.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Using oil samples as a testing method. I firmly believe Rotella IS JUNK!!!! I will NOT use in my rig. I got 1,300000 using Mobil Delvac. Yes there is better, but Mobil is clearly a great oil.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, 12K huh? I've been changing religiously at 5K and it looks filthy as hell. I guess the only way to know if I can go farther between changes is to send a sample to somebody. Anybody know of a company that does it?

·
Rescue Tower
10,813 Posts
Go lurk around Welcome Accurate information over there.

·
Registered
761 Posts
i have ran 15w40 rotella t in my truck since the day i bought it new and it now has 90,000miles and have never had a single problem. i live on a farm and we have ran rotella t in every thing my whole life, tractors combines trucks bobcats, anything with a diesel and never 1 problem

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't feel bad, I'm a Ford guy who drives a Dodge only cuz I Fords don't have Cummins motors. But anyway, how do you find out if a motor oil is "rated for Cummins" ?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Recent oil samples of Mobil

I guess I do not have any samples comparing shell to mobil anymore. It has been prob 8 years since I last ran shell. But I will show my recent samples using mobil. If anyone want to compare I am all eyes.

Attachments

·
11,105 Posts
I'm running synthetic 5w-40 rotella that's why I go 12k on oil changes. My buddy had an 06 and runs synthetic and takes his oil(rotella synthetic)to be analysed at 12k and they say change the filter and add a quart....that should tell you something. All oil in most diesel engines turns black very quick so yes it looks like it's not working but it is very well.

Reactions: westtnfx4

·
Registered
236 Posts
just remember what opinions are like and that everyone has one

I've run rotella in all 14 dodge ctd's I've owned with all bought new except for 2 of them, my present truck has 202,000 miles, lots of heavy pulling and never used a drop of oil in between 5,000 mi. oil changes, absolutely no blow-by

as you say many major fleets won't run anything else, last time I looked rotella was the number 1 selling diesel oil by volume and there are cheaper oils out there

remember what opinions are like and use what you are comfortable with

·
11,105 Posts
I did run mobil1 sythetic in my '04 Z71 and it ran smooth but since I got the cummins I went with rotella standard and then switched to synthetic. Can't complain and don't think I'll be buying Amsoil for the $$ my sythetic is just as good and I can save a little dough for a nice meal out on a Saturday nite. Hahaha.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I personally do not like the use of Lucas oil stabilizer, it seems to gel up and sit in low flow areas, on top of the head. I use Rotella, great stuff, the Lucas I have seen a transmission an 18 speed fail and the trans tech said it was the cause. I find that most of these additive posts are advertising and the product is junk

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm running synthetic 5w-40 rotella that's why I go 12k on oil changes. My buddy had an 06 and runs synthetic and takes his oil(rotella synthetic)to be analysed at 12k and they say change the filter and add a quart....that should tell you something. All oil in most diesel engines turns black very quick so yes it looks like it's not working but it is very well.
What if any difference did you notice in the Rotella 15-40 and their synthetic? Also, is there such a thing as a 15-40 syn or does it all go to 5-40s?

·
11,105 Posts
They only make it in 5w-40 and I could tell a significant difference in the idle and it was alot more quite than the standard. I use the k&n filter b/c its easy on and off. The 1st time I just used synthetic then the 2nd and 3rd I used the Lucas oil stabilizer.

Reactions: ROCKYTOPCUMMINS

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I've used Rotella synthetic 5w40 one time and was not happy with the higher engine noise so I dumped it after 3500 miles. I then tried out Amsoil and was surprised that I had less noise from 5w30 HDD oil and 6/10 better mpg. I liked the Amsoil so much that is all I now use and it cost about the same price as Mobil One. Also every UOA's has shown a TBN of 9.24 or higher so the oil is still good to use even after 368 days with winter temps down to -32 below zero and I use a Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had less noise from 5w30 HDD oil and 6/10 better mpg
is that .6 as in six-tenths or 6 to 10 better mpg

my question is if you averaged 16 mpg and it's .6 improvement you were then getting 16.96 mpg from the oil?

thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts
Oil is a huge topic on these forums. I have done a LOT of research and looked up a lot of oil technology. I am by no means an oil expert, but I have used a lot and I have slept in a Holiday Inn Express, but not last night. I'll talk about the Lucas additive first. It DOES foam up in our engines and causes the oil that is in there to break down faster and it makes it thicker which makes it take longer to lubricate on cold starts. Most will say it quiets down the engine and that was my experience with it to, but that is just becasue it is so much thicker in the engine it's like adding honey. Lab tests and personal experience have proved this to me. Lucas will also make your oil much thicker and gel up more in cold weather which makes harder starts and poor fuel economy. This also makes it much worse for your engine becasue it takes longer to lubricate and it is harder on your batteries to turn the truck over. On to the oil.
Rotella has been used by many people for many miles and years, but if you ask them about how their truck start in the winter they will tell you that they turn over slow. They will also have to change their oil more often, and they have to put up with the smell. Rotella will make sludge and varnish in your engine over time, that's the nature of an oil that is a crude oil distillate. If you do research you will find out that even though an oil says that it is a synthetic, it may not really be. The government doesn't make oil companies use synthetic products to call it a synthetic, it just simply has to display synthetic properties. This means that the "synthetic" oil that you buy may just be a glorified petrolium oil. Rotella being one of them, and some of your other major brands doing the same.
If you want to get the most for your money, Amsoil is by far the best. It is a 100% true synthetic oil. There is no petrolium in their product, it is all chemically made. This is why you can run it longer than the other oils and still be better protected. In testing some of the oils, like Lucas, don't even meet viscosity grade straight from the bottle before being used! The TBN of an oil is very important also, this is the oils ability to neutrilize the acidic properties inside the engine that will conatminate the oil and make it go bad. The higher the TBN the better and more life an oil will have against the acids. This isn't the only thing that makes an oil last, there is the shear stability, viscosity change, contaminants, heat breakdown and many other things to take into consideration. If you look at the oil testing that is published with the names on the tests then you will see who comes out on top.
If you want an oil that will perform for a very long time, will make your truck easy to start in the winter, and get you better fuel mileage then you want to go with Amsoil and an Amsoil filter. Filters are another whole topic, but you will not find a filter on the market, besides a bypass filter, that filters better than the Amsoil filter line. Amsoil filters to 15 microns absolute. There are others that say they filter to 10 microns, but that is at 50%. Amsoil at 10 microns is about 90%. Hands down there is not a better filter on the market today. Amsoil also has the best spin-on bypass filter which is 2 microns absolute.
Personal experience with Amsoil is that I gained a consistent 1-1.5 mpg by changing my differentials to Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 and my engine oil to Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel 5W-30. It has gotten to -12 here and my truck starts like it is 75*. I will never run anything other than Amsoil now that I've found the best. You asked for personal experience and this is mine. If you use Amsoil like it is intended you could save a couple hundred dollars a year or more depending on how much you drive.

Doug

1 - 20 of 163 Posts