Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is a spin-off of another I started in this section regarding a hesitation under throttle @ 55+ MPH:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...hudder-hesitation-when-accelerating-50-a.html

Purpose of the new thread is to get some advice on potential root causes of this issue so that I can start working down the list and fully investigate.

Problem occurs when torque converter is locked and I am on the skinny pedal. MUCH less severe when the EDGE box is turned off.

I have recieved alot of feedback pointing to Torque Converter Clutch slippage but want to be 100% sure before I buy another coverter and yank the
transmission.

Though TCC shudder seems to be the symptom most people are pointing to I am reluctant to fully accept that just yet considering the truck was working fine when I pulled it into the shop and immediately had the shudder/hesitation when I pulled it out.

Another point pushing me to look down other paths (in addition to the torque converter) is that the truck is already equipped with the following upgrades:
- ATS Triple Disk Coverter
- BD Pressure lock
- Built tranny with all billet parts, DTT valve body, etc....

Work performed while the truck was in the shop (immediately before this issue started).

- Full fluid replacement (engine oil, ATF & filter, difs)
- Blue Chip low fuel pressure warning light
- New starter
- New heat grid selanoids
- Complete front end rebuild (unit bearings, tie rods, brakes, u-joints, etc..)
- New front driveshaft u-joint
- New tires

** There were 4 guys working on the truck and we were all over the place. Someone could have accidently knocked something loose during the process.

I am trying to work through any possible root causes of the problem before I jump in with both feet on the torque converter.

Any ideas of things I should be looking at?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**I have read the entire torque converter lockup thread and I think my issues are different than what is listed there.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Believe quizzed on ATF used. The additive package could be bad or wrong for some reason.
Is it possible the throttle cable to tranny is disconnected or out of adjustment.\? Disconnected cable with medium throttle would not have increased line pressure for throttle opening!!!!????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe quizzed on ATF used. The additive package could be bad or wrong for some reason.
Is it possible the throttle cable to tranny is disconnected or out of adjustment.\? Disconnected cable with medium throttle would not have increased line pressure for throttle opening!!!!????
Thanks for the response Dozer.

The transmission had AMSOIL in it before and that is what I used to fill it back up.

I checked the TV cable last night and everything seems to be good.

I got the test procedure from BD on the pressuloc today and plan on going through that when I get home from work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the best DIY solution for measuring line pressure?

I have called all of the autoparts places and no one loans/rent gauges.

Kits online range from $35 to $100 but I am not sure which direction to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts