Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. I'm new here would like some information I have replaced three starters on my 99 5 9 Cummins 2 sets of new batteries bypass the clutch switch and still on the way it'll start is to roll it out it will not start with key any ideas help would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Welcome> Do you have a voltmeter or test light and can you read a schematic? Sound like it is in the ignition switch circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I'm going to try that tomorrow I was wondering it could it be in the ignition itself where the key is that is the only thing I haven't changed and where do you what do you think I should start

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you checked for bower at both lugs on the starter? Next I would get a buddy and see if your getting power to the starter when the keys turned. Then work your way back. Best to do with a volt meter.

Do the lights or anything on the dash go dim when the keys turned? Could have a wire full of corrosion that won’t hold a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot I'm going to try that tomorrow but all like everything works fine just clicks and then nothing it started doing that a year ago I put a new starter on it and it hadn't done it again until now I change the starter again and it still nothing you can roll it all but you can't jump it or the key won't turn it

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Welcome. It does indeed sound like the ignition switch is failing / faulty. I've seen the exact same issues on another 2nd gen, and it turned out to be the ignition switch.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
If the starter is clicking and it is new or new solenoid contacts you have bad or dirty battery cables or terminals. If starter was old I would say you have bad contacts in solenoid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve seen bad connections do this and I’ve see. Cable not able to hold a load. Clean all connections and retest. If that doesn’t work Find the main cable for the starter and have someone hold on the end that goes to the battery and you hold on the starter in an ohm setting and check what the ohms say. Shouldn’t have very many ohms if any. But it also shouldn’t say OL. Or do a voltage drop test. Same thing as explained above just using a voltage setting. Shouldn’t be more than .5 volts of drop or else cable is bad. Do this on both positive and negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible the fly wheel could be bad cause right before the starter issue it started a very bad vibration no power loss no oil pressure drop absolutely no change at all just a bad vibration. Any and all help is very much appreciated

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Diagnose once, not repair parts until you get lucky, or not. First check all wiring and related fuses, relays and switches for function and continuity(juice) when you turn the switch. Start at switch or starter and work you way to the other. Do yo have your spacer on the new starters? Google for schematics if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had it to the dealer they said it needed all that I've checked every thing again what was told on here and still the same thing ive spent 5k and 2 dealerships and repair shops that's why I'm doing it myself now I drive a big truck have for past 37 years so no how shops do thing. I'm going to take trans BACK out and see if flywheel is the trouble

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
Is the start solenoid kicking or not? If in doubt, You can be positive by pulling it off bell housing and holding against it(ground) and hitting switch.

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
And does it have the spacer if required?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts