Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

For those that might want to know and/or interested, I ordered one of these guys CPS and had the thing the next day WOW... Was abit shocked at how fast it got here LOL...

Anyway, dealing with the fuel timing knock I have had with the EGR deleted on my truck I wanted to see if I could play with something that actually would adjust the timing on this engine, just to see what gives.

I don't think it would take much to move the fuel knock really, at least change the amount enough so as to tell I had done something whether it was better or worse.

No deal on mine, it didn't change anything best I could tell. I even went so far as to grind off the other side of the CPS to allow me to move the timing down some also... That had no effect either.

Best I can tell and what I know about how the ECM technology works and adapts, I would bet that the ECM just kept the timing where it had been running in the past and never paid any attention to the fact of the actual moving of the CPS in the boss on the block...

I have thought maybe if I was to unhook the battery's and nuke the memory and reboot the ECM if this might make the change take place???

What you guys thinK??? Just got to be a way to move the timing a little like this and fool the ECM isn't there???

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
What does this part look like? Could you post a picture? Does this device move the sensor position? How many degrees do you think that it will move it? It may be that the new part does not move the sensor enough to make a very big difference to the ecm. Or it may be like you mentioned...the ecm is compensating somehow. Interesting stuff! Thanks again for using your truck as a guinea pig Jeb!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
It's just an adjustable crank position sensor. Do a search on Rokktech. I've had one on my truck for about a week now trying to get some better mileage out of it. I have another topic going about it. I don't see any ill effects from running it but I also have seen no benefits from it either. Mileage appears to be about the same and so does the power. I can powerbrake and turn the tires loose but I never tried it with the stock sensor in place so I don't know if the Rokktech made this possible or not.
I have also thought about filing some more of the plastic housing down to get some more adjustability out of it. It is advertised as giving up to 2 degrees of advance.
My truck is totally stock other than this thing....

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rock,

Dude, soon as I got home this afternoon the Air Conditioning to the house had quite, so I have been tied up getting that all up and working again. Its like that time of year here in the south LOL...

I will be pulling this back out Saturday if I get my way of things around here on the weekend, now the wife does have her way and may change things up on me. I never know what to expect around here LOL...

I also just got my two fuel pressure guages from Holland Court Diesel
that JohnB sent me. I got the 30psi and a 30K psi rail kit, that I would like to get installed this weekend also. I have been just about to bust open here with interest on the rail pressure as well as the fuel pressure I am getting to the CP3 as well...

So I will be trying to find time to do a lot of installing and messing around with things if I get my way. I will get some PIC's of the CPS and where to grind one of these if you wanted. I am just all most certain my CPS has not changed anything on mine as I have a pretty good tuned ear for things like this, and I have not heard any differences with this so far???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put one on my truck and it seems to have a little more power and I also noticed that it seems like the engine carries the load a little longer than it used to after I let off the go pedal. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TeamRoper,

Is this on a 6.7 engine or the 99 F350??? I fear your results could mislead some of us if this is on the 12V's...

·
Banned
123 Posts
Rokktech sensor

Am I seeing this little 69.00 device is not giving the results as advertised on the site? I am glad I read this post before buying one. Keep up the good feedback guys! :thumbsup God Bless!

Darrell

·
Registered
669 Posts
I spoke with a well respected person (not saying their name) Diesel Performance world on the adjustable CPS about a year ago. He told me they played with one on a 06 5.9L for several days taking readings from the sensor and playing on the dyno. After all was said and done it did nothing by adjusting the CPS. I'm not saying this is the gospel but this is what I was told.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
This part is made for 5.9s. I had mine on my 07 5.9 truck and pulled it off before trading it in. On the 07 I LOST a full 1 mpg when I pulled it off. I would say that it works as advertised. I would also contend that maybe Dodge has already advanced the timing some for the 6.7s and that's why the Rokktech does not seem to do much for them. I would swear that I have the slightest bit more power off the line and that's why it is still on my truck. My mileage did not change one bit. I have also thought about trying to modify it some more to see if I can get some more timing out of it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts